Configuration inter vlans on Zyxel GS2210-2'HP

GB_Informatics
GB_Informatics Posts: 12  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment

Hello,
I have a Zyxel GS2210-24HP switch, I have set up VLANs, I would like them to communicate with each other. I need to set up an inter-VLAN configuration, but I don't understand how to do this. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 867  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @GB_Informatics

The GS2210-24HP is an L2 switch and does not support L3 routing features. To enable communication between your VLANs, you'll need to set up routing on an L3 switch or configure a security policy rule on your router within your network.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• GB_Informatics

Hello,

I saw in the "static routing" web interface

"IPv4 Static Route
    Static Routing

Active
    Name
    Destination IP Address : 0.0.0.0
    IP Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
    Gateway IP Address : 0.0.0.0
    Metric :

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 3,161  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Answers
    edited August 3

I think when I tested my GS2210-24 L2 vs my XS1930-10 L3 the GS2210 have no Default Gateway for the incoming clients to a VLAN interface to route like 1.1.1.1 to that Default Gateway where as the XS1930-10 does.

The static routing bit only allow like

Destination IP Address : 10.0.0.0

IP Subnet Mask : 255.0.0.0

Gateway IP Address : 192.168.255.202

I'm not sure how many static routes you can have to do all of the internet like less then 255 rules to a given Gateway. Update well you can only do 50 rules so your going to need a L3 switch

• GB_Informatics

What I want to do is "sort" my machines" in order to separate my servers, my network equipment (routers and communicators), printers and client PCs.

To do this I've created 6 vlans ranging from 10 to 60, I want all the devices to communicate with each other and all to have access to the Internet.

• PeterUK
    edited August 3

I think the static routing in the UI for GS2210 was not meant to be in their as I have never got it to work just tried only when I got the XS1930-10 did routing between VLAN subnets did it work.

Your router can do the bit for all the devices to communicate with each other but if you want to off load this you need a L3 switch.

• GB_Informatics

I'm looking at an Acer X5 Connect

• PeterUK

^ don't think that supports VLAN's

• Zyxel_Kay
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @GB_Informatics

The Static Routing feature on the GS2210 L2 switch allows for IP static routing by Layer-2 switches. This ensures the switch can respond to management stations not reachable via the default gateway and proactively send traffic, such as SNMP traps or during IP connectivity tests using ping. This feature on the GS2210 L2 switch is different from Layer-3 switches, which use static routes to forward traffic via gateways other than the default gateway.

If you want VLAN traffic to be routed between each other, it is recommended to use an L3 switch or configure a security policy on a router.

You can explore our L3 switch options here: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/switch , or check out our firewall offerings here: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/next-gen-firewall .

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• PeterUK
    edited August 5

Kay does your L2+ switches GS2220 do the required routing?

• Zyxel_Kay

Hi @PeterUK

The GS2220, like the GS2210, supports only the static routing feature. If you're looking for a switch model that supports VLAN routing, please refer to the switch model’s datasheet. For example, the XMG1930 Lite-L3 switch supports VLAN routing, and you can find this information in its specifications.

Here is a screenshot of the specifications for your reference:

Kay