Trunk and remote access VPN issue

PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 3,152  Guru Member
Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Answers
edited August 25 in USG FLEX H Series

USG FLEX 200H V1.21(ABWV.0)ITS-24WK35-0813-240800592

So bit of a problem for my setup to work WAN2 must not be in the User-Defined Trunk but when its not in the trunk then remote access VPN does not work

In other words not having WAN in trunk works better but for VPN to work WAN must be in trunk

So can you get VPN to work without the WAN in trunk?

Edit testing how trunk compares on a USG40 I can set Trunk to VLAN443 and VPN to OPT fine so must be possible

Thanks

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,091  Zyxel Employee
    250 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Third Anniversary 1000 Comments

Hi @PeterUK,

I would like to clarify with you:

1. Your user-defined trunk setting except the WAN2 interface only?
    2. "but when its not in the trunk then remote access VPN does not work" Do you mean you can configure but the VPN cannot build up, is it correct?

Zyxel Melen

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! 

• PeterUK
    edited August 26

1. yes I have other WAN interfaces in trunk but not WAN2

2. yes the client can not connect to the VPN on WAN2 unless WAN2 is in the trunk

• PeterUK

Just to let you know Melen this is under case #453841 Zyxel Support Campus EMEA

• Zyxel_Melen
    250 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Third Anniversary 1000 Comments

Hi @PeterUK,

Thanks for your update.

I did a simple test with the user-defined trunk profile except WAN2 but there's no issue in my lab. This could be due to the configuration difference. Our engineer will check your configuration and find a solution for you.

Zyxel Melen

• PeterUK

Odd…I did found a workaround by routeing rule to tell Zywall next hop WAN2 for source ports VPN

• PeterUK

This is what I have found out so far

So I have a trunk with P3 WAN3 and P4 VLAN443
    If I remove ge1 P1 from the bridge same problem VPN don't work
    But if I do a trunk with just ge1 P1 WAN1 then the VPN connects on WAN2 P2

The problem looks to be that some order logic that if ge1 P1 is not in the trunk first by a User-Defined Trunk it skips incoming traffic on other interfaces

So I had WAN3 on ge3 P3 moved to WAN1 ge1 P1 with trunk ge1 thinking that now WAN2 on P2 for the VPN would work...it did not.

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @PeterUK,

Update: this is a spec limitation and we have raised a feature request for this scenario.

Currently, we have a workaround for this scenario: Change the WAN2 to passive mode in the trunk profile.

Zyxel Melen

• PeterUK
    edited September 2

Hi Melen

As said in the case this workaround is no good to me causes problems with the setup I'm doing but the other workaround by routeing rule incoming zywall source IP WAN2 source ports VPN next hop WAN2 works fine and I'm happy with how it currently works.

• PeterUK
    edited September 8

Hmmm….so the VPN connects but even with other routeing rules I can get DNS and ping to work but not TCP odd how the its tied to the trunk for VPN so this is not working so for the time being I have to wait for the firmware to fix this as I can't add that interface to the trunk.

Thinking this option might fix it too