Enable only Per Vlan RTSP

VCS
VCS Posts: 19  Freshman Member
First Comment Third Anniversary

Experts,

I do have a GS1900-24E with VLAN ID 1, 2, 4.

PVID 2 is used for Internet, PVID 4 is IPTV and PVID 1 is local lan.

I did see some occurrence that STP did mess up with port1 and port 2 which caused that my internet went down for 3 minutes.

How can I enable to do only Per VLAN STP? I have now disabled port 1 and 2 as port 1 connects to the ISP and port 2 to the router (WAN side), port 3 till 8 are used for only VLAN ID (PVID) 4.

All other ports are for local LAN. In theory, I could disable all STP as I do not have a switch which is connected to other switches. I have 2 GS1900E both feeded from the router not not to each other.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,254  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate
    Answer ✓

Hi @VCS,

What is the difference between info and debug? 

They are different log levels. For more information, you may reference these websites:
    https://linuxconfig.org/introduction-to-the-linux-kernel-log-levels
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7745885/log4j-logging-hierarchy-order

What means the facility? It says from 0 till 8?

The log facility allows you to send logs to different files in the syslog server. Please refer to the documentation of your syslog program for more details.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate

Hi @VCS,

How can I enable to do only Per VLAN STP?

For this purpose, you will need MSTP. However, in normal cases, STP is a function that prevents loops in a ring topology. If your topology is not a ring and you want to prevent loops, you should enable the loopguard function.

By the way, may I know how you determined the issue was due to STP?

I did see some occurrence that STP did mess up with port1 and port 2 which caused that my internet went down for 3 minutes.

• VCS

Looking better into the pcap file, STP was just sending BDU and did not blocked the port.

Biy blocking the port means that the port remains up only no traffic will passed that port, right?

What I see, that the router reports that his WAN connections goes down but in the log of the switch I do not see anything. It looks like that the router itself has some issues?

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @VCS,

Biy blocking the port means that the port remains up only no traffic will passed that port, right?

Yes, the link status of this port will be link up, but this port is a blocking port so the traffic will not pass/forword.

What I see, that the router reports that his WAN connections goes down but in the log of the switch I do not see anything. It looks like that the router itself has some issues?

If the port on switch side wasn't blocking, this issue might be due to the router or ISP(since it was a WAN issue).

• VCS

One last question, will there be a trap sent when a port is blocked (or port change due to STP) to the syslog?

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @VCS,

Yes, you can see the ports are forwarding or blocking in the syslog.

Additionally, you have to change the syslog severity to "info" at least, or you cannot find these logs in syslog.

Syslog > Local:

Syslog > Remote:

• VCS

What is the difference between info and debug? What means the facility? It says from 0 till 8?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓

Hi @VCS,

What is the difference between info and debug? 

They are different log levels. For more information, you may reference these websites:
    https://linuxconfig.org/introduction-to-the-linux-kernel-log-levels
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7745885/log4j-logging-hierarchy-order

What means the facility? It says from 0 till 8?

The log facility allows you to send logs to different files in the syslog server. Please refer to the documentation of your syslog program for more details.