Zyxel USG 310 random reboot after firmware upgrade

spallared
spallared Posts: 18  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hello, in april 2018 i had a lot of troubles with a firmware upgrade of my USG310 that was causing immediate reboots if Content Filter was enabled. After weeks has been sent by your labs a custom firmware version V4.33(AAPJ.0) / 2019-01-09 09:39:20 for my firewall that solved the problem (this is the link of the discussion: https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/1165/usg310-reboots-when-enable-https-domain-filter-for-https-traffic-is-enabled) 

Now i'm trying to upgrade the firmware to 4.35 in order to be able to use the new antivirus but as soon as updated the firewall started to reboot as did two years ago and i had to downgrade. 

Any suggestion on how to solve this issue? 

Thank you in advance
Luca

All Replies

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2020
    @spallared
    Sorry for causing your inconvenience and bad user experience.
    Can you private message the complete console dump information (during issue occur), diagnostic information(after issue happen) for our checking further?
    Also, can I know did you only enable CF and AV for UTM service?
  • spallared
    @Zyxel_Charlie, thanks for your reply. I'll try to provide you the console output as soon as possible, as you can imagine it's not so easy because i've to reboot the router multiple times and, expecially in these days with a lot of users connected from home, it's quite tricky to find when i can do it.
    About the other question, when i upgraded the firmware i had only Content Filter and App Patrol (AV is disabled because not supported by new license). If you want i can send you my startup-config file.

Regards
    Luca

• spallared
    @Zyxel_Charlie
    Today i was able to test the new firmware 4.38 and collect the serial console log (for your information, the 4.35 version crashes in the same way). Looking at the console i found the error "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000000000000000..." that is the exact replica of the error that i had in january 2018 when i upgraded from 4.25 to 4.30. The 2018 issue was solved with a custom kernel that your RD sent me privately (after lots of messaging with @Zyxel_Cooldia)after weeks of debug and that "custom" firmware, based on 4.33, is still running on my USG310 as is the only that seems stable. This issue seems a regression of the old bug, maybe someone at the RD still remember this issue. In few minutes i will send with a private message the log i collected today and the log collected in 2018.

Regards
    Luca
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    @spallared
    Regarding to this case,
    with V4.38, can I know what frequency of issue occur?
    If possible, could you please disable app patrol and keep monitoring it?
    We are still investigating this issue, and any update, will let you know asap.
    Sorry again for causing your inconvenience.
  • spallared
    @Zyxel_Charlie, with cf and ap enabled the router reboots in less than one minute (and with less than 20 users connected), without it lasts for a couple of hours before rebooting. 

Any chance that this issue can be related to what happened to me with upgrade from 4.25 to 4.31 in 2018? The sympthoms seems really the same, @Zyxel_Cooldia told me that my fix should be commited to the public firmware, maybe someone forgot it?

I think there is no need to explain what troubles cause to me doing this tests while all my colleagues are working (expecially in these days).

Regards
    Luca
  • spallared
    @Zyxel_Charlie, i opened the two firmware files ("standard" 4.31 and the patched 4.31 that was able to fix the reboot issue) and found that they differs for the kernel image and the modem manager (see attached images, in each image in the upper part there is the standard firmware, down the patched one).

• Zyxel_Charlie
    @spallared
    Thanks for your information.
    Regarding to this case,
    I have private message the firmware to you. Please have a check.
  • spallared
    Hello @Zyxel_Charlie, this afternoon i updated the usg310 with the firmware you sent me and so far everything is fine. It's about 4 hours it's running fine (while before it began rebooting in less than two minutes). 

Thank you, i'll keep you updated.
    Luca

Security Highlight