Support for 2.5G SFP+ transceivers?

lizthegrey
lizthegrey Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
I'm buying a XGS1210-12, and would like to know whether it only supports 1Gb/10Gb sync on the SFP+ ports, or whether 2.5G/5G are possible.

There are both Aquantia 2.5G SFP+/RJ-45 transceivers (model no aqs-109), and proprietary GPON SFP+ ONT modules being deployed with 1.5G service in Canada that expect to sync at 2.5G, rather than 1G or 10G. Example mfg/model nos seen in the wild by Bell and Telus customers: Huawei MA5671A, Nokia G-010S-A

As of 2 years ago, the competing UBIQUITI switches have supported 2.5G sync. If you also supported 2.5G sync, you'd spare people from needing to drop several hundred dollars on ES-16-XG, US-16-XG, US-XG-6POE, or similar switches just to get the intermediate sync rate.

All Replies

• KinGsman
    KinGsman Posts: 7  Freshman Member
  • Are you using 2500Base-T or 2500Base-X? The amazon comment only mentions ethernet and not optical.
  • KinGsman
    KinGsman Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    Didn't you talk about SFP+/RJ45 transceiver at the beginning? ?

This one for you?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWW79SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_mT0SFb1NEMBXC?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
  • XaT
    XaT Posts: 2
    +1 

Is that possible to get support on a XGS1210-12 ?
    Just bought it and can't get 2.5G on my SFP ONT (1G is ok)

:)
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @XaT,

Our datasheet has already mentioned XSG1210’s SFP port supports 1G/10G speed, it is the hardware specification on it.
    However, it seems there are some users on worldwide help us testing some 3rd party transceivers and gets work.(Refer to the comments above)
    We thanks those users' effort and feedback, but please still note that we don’t guarantee 2.5G will always work well on SFP port officially.
    XGS1210 has already provided user 2.5G-speed-supported on two copper ports.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • I can report that my GPON transceiver works at 1G speeds, but not at 2.5G speeds, when plugged into the switch mentioned above.
  • XaT
    XaT Posts: 2
    same here :/ 
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @lizthegrey and @XaT,

We have listed our Zyxel transceivers on our XGS1210 datasheet that we guarantee will work.

For the SFP-to-RJ45 module that mentioned above, it is verified working by other users.
    In theory, it may link at 2.5G speed or not also depends on the module it own chip and driver.
    Please still note that it is case-by-case, so we can't have the promise that all SFP-to-RJ45 modules will work well on our Switch.
    For GPON, XGS1210 doesn't support GPON transceiver.

Jason