New VLANs refusing to work

BrightWolf Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited April 14 in Switch
I have an issue configuring a *new* VLAN on my GS1900-24E (2.50 firmware). Another VLAN on the switch are already working, working fine, and stable. The new VLAN just *refuses* to work: no network connectivity at all. Nothing happens. Everything is configured precisely as the other working VLAN. 

Configuration of the working VLAN: 
VLAN: 12 (IOT)
Port: 1, 2 (accept all frame types, disable ingress check, disable vlan trunk)
VLAN Port:
- port 1,2 > Untagged
- port 24 (pfSense router) > Tagged
- all other ports: Excluded

Configuration of the NON working VLAN: 
Port: 14, 15 (accept all frame types, disable ingress check, disable vlan trunk)
VLAN Port: 
- port 14,15 > Untagged 
- port 24 (pfSense router) > Tagged
- all other ports: Excluded

My router is pfSense. When I plug my PC into port 1 or 2, I immediately get an IP address in the *.*.12.* range. When I plug my PC into port 14 or 15 on the switch, nothing happens: no connectivity. pfSense does not provide an IP, but when there's no connectivity, how could it ? I really suspect the problem is the switch, and VLAN is bugged somehow. Does anybody recognize this problem, and what could I do to solve it? workaround it? or to debug it further?

All Replies

  • Zyxel_Derrick
    Zyxel_Derrick Posts: 76  Zyxel Employee
    edited September 2020
    Hi @BrightWolf

    Do you mean that when PC connect to port 14 or 15 it can't receive IP X.X.140.X?
    If yes, I have tried to do a local lab based on your description and the VLAN works normally.
    Therefore, may I know did you configure PVID 140 on port 14 or 15?
    Besides, do you have the subnet of VLAN 140 on DHCP server that can distribute IP X.X.140.?

    Best regards,
  • BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Posts: 5  Freshman Member
    Hi @Zyxel_Derrick

    Thanks for your answer, and I was starting to type that I have the pfSense router configured with a VLAN, an interface for that VLAN and a DHCP server for that interface. I have set up everything precisely the same as the other -working- VLAN. I was going to type that for the working VLAN, that I configured 6 months ago and that is working, that I have even documented the setup process.

    That reminded me... I just had a quick look at my own documentation of that time and then realised that I forgot one step. I followed a VLAN guide on the internet but should have followed my own guide. I forgot to add the switch config on the router (tagging of the router ports, Interfaces > Switches in pfSense). Now I have added that and all is working fine. (feeling a bit stupid here, but also relieved that this is solved. Cost me 3 hours yesterday night).

    So, thanks again! And best regards,
Sign In to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click on this button!