USG 60 and ZyWALL 110 firmware 4.30 and 4.31 password must change; after change can not log in

Options
124»

All Replies

• Christophe31
    Options
    Hello,
    I have the same probleme in USG60W....
    in the documentation: 
    https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/1558/how-to-backup-running-configuration-if-forgot-password https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/1558/how-to-backup-running-configuration-if-forgot-password

What type of encryption is used?

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Christophe31,

The encryption algorithm cannot be provided.

• Zelly
    Zelly Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options
    Hi fellows. I was just affected by this incredibly sneaky bug. 
    I was prompted to set a new login for my admin-user at login. So I generated the quite complex password: BTwaf2@$9%hC^D&w which the box saved without comment.
    After this I could not login anymore. 

After finding this thread I tried a couple of variations of the password with no success. Then I realized that $ is a common character to identify variables. Assuming that the Zywall took $ as a start of a variable (and probably would not accept % as part of a variable name) I removed $9 and logged in just fine. 

So Andrea was on the right track. But it's not if it's ending with a special character, just remove one character after the $ until you find the right password. 

• jw708
    jw708 Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    I'm having this problem, but the password started with ' and then alphanumeric characters. Any ideas?
  • Remo
    Remo Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Running version V4.38 on a USG40W this problem still exists. No warning or error appeared after password renewal. For us this is a reason to change the supplier.
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @Remo
    With firmware: v4.39
    The account:admin with password: BTwaf2@$9%hC^D&w can be accepted by device, and I can login. Can you share what password are you using?
    What firmware are you using?

If you meet the same issue(cannot login) because the password is expired, have to follow the FAQ to recover the configuration and set a new password.

• Nera
    Nera Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

Was this ever resolved? I have the problems on some devices and dont want to go to the customer to reset the password.

The old password was like:

xxxxxx$

the new one:

xxxxxx$$

Which password could i try?

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,066  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Nera

May we know what is the firewall model and firmware version you are using now? Thanks.

Security Highlight