Big ask to solve my ISP problem with DHCP.

PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited August 2022 in Switch

So with DAI setup I see I can add to a DHCP discover/request option 82 but what I need is not option 82 but to change the whole DHCP discover/request to be to same with given options like that of a USG40 or win 10 DHCP discover/request the idea is when a DHCP discover/request comes in it is changed with the set options to make it all the same.

Any help on that will really solve my ISP problem.

This would be for a GS2210-24 model and if needed I get a GS2220-10

Comments

• Zyxel小編 Lucious
    Zyxel小編 Lucious Posts: 278  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @PeterUK

I can add to a DHCP discover/request option 82 but what I need is not option 82 but to change the whole DHCP discover/request to be to same with given options like that of a USG40
    Do you mean something like this?

Zyxel_Lucious
  • PeterUK
    edited November 2020

No thats just setting for just a USG/Zywall as a DHCP server.

What I need is a client DHCP has given options set then change and add options and send the DHCP on so no matter what client is connected with different options in the DHCP the switch makes it sends its set discover/request.

In such a way that If a win 10 with it DHCP options the switch makes the DHCP look like what a USG40 sends.

I know you can slip in option 82 by DAI so I'm hoping changing a DHCP from a client to look like a win10 or USG40 sends discover/request but without option 82.

• Zyxel小編 Lucious
    @PeterUK

So the option you desire can be added when switch's management is set as DHCP client?

Zyxel_Lucious
  • PeterUK
    edited January 2021

No thats not it.

The setup would be DAI where by connecting clients have their DHCP discover/request changed much like have option 82 gets put in only I don't need option 82.

so in red a client DHCP comes in and the DAI changes the DHCP in blue options like 50 and 54 can stay the same in request. The idea is all DHCP discover/request are changed to look like in blue making it all the same for clients.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029482/uploads/editor/zt/ox17kmczzplj.png

• Zyxel小編 Lucious
    @PeterUK

In short, it's like switch adding "user-define options" into DHCP packets when forwarding them.
    Correct?

Zyxel_Lucious
  • PeterUK
    Yes
  • Zyxel小編 Lucious
    @PeterUK

Thanks for confirmation, we'll have some study and let you know the progress.

Zyxel_Lucious
  • PeterUK
    I'm still hoping this will be a thing to make DHCP discover/request the same so I get the right IP due to my ISP odd DHCP server on the same MAC wrong IP.

The only thing is not many people if at all need this done so the other option is to pay for the option to be put in? 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @PeterUK,

We will find a local support to contact with you to know the detail what feature is you needed.
    I will PM your asking for your contact information.

Zyxel Melen