CLIP-Function on vmg8924-b10a

Maverick6606
Maverick6606 Posts: 4  Freshman Member
edited July 2018 in Smart Home Product
Hi everybody
Last december I was converted by my phone supplier from analogue telephone to all IP (VOIP). Since I disliked, that the phone service provider could configure my router from outside and all the Admin passwords are saved on the internet,  I decided to drop the router from the phone service provider and use a  ZyXel vmg8924-b10a instead. I got the SIP credentials, configured the router and hooked my phone to the phone port 1, Everything works perfectly so far, but with the vmg8924-b10awith  every incoming call the telephone says "Unknow Caller ID".  If I go and have a look at the vmg8924-b10a I can see all the numbers in the call history, but obviously the ZyXel router don't passes this information along to the telephone. It used to work with the router I got from my telecom company (so the CLIP-Function is provided from the telecom company), but since I use the ZyXel vmg8924-b10a this doesn't work anymore.

What do I need to adjust in the routersettings to have the caller ID visible on the Handset/Telephone??

Thanks a lot for your help

#CPE_July

All Replies

• AAAAL
    AAAAL Posts: 125  Ally Member

Hi Maverick6606,

What’s the firmware version on your VMG8924-B10A ? Have you tried to change another analogy phone to check if the CLIP can be displayed or not ? Could you provide your phone brand, model and where are you located ?

• Maverick6606
    Hi AAAAL

Firmware: 1.00(AAKL.20)C0
    Yup! Tried both my analogue phones 

- "Swisscom TOP M48" (fixed) 

and also my

Both worked perfectly before I was converted from analogue to VOIP by my carrier Swisscom. The CLIP-Functionality even worked with the original Swisscom-VOIP-Router perfectly. But when I switched to the ZyXel-Router for the above mentioned reasons CLIP did not work on the ZyXel-Router. Somehow it does not provide the Caller ID to the Analogue Phones (though it knows them as easily can be seen in the Routers Call-Log).

As you easily can figure out now, I'm located in Switzerland.

• AAAAL
    AAAAL Posts: 125  Ally Member

Hi Maverick6606,

You can try to change the phone region in GUI : VoIP -> Phone -> Region Setting

Find out the right pairing with your analogy phone.

• Maverick6606
    Hi AAAAL
    Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately it did not change anything. The owners manual says, that this is the place where the VGM is located and that it might have an impact on phonequality. Originaly I had CHE - Switzerland  and with the Call service mode  European type. Then I tried some of the other region settings and Call service mode settings (and did always a reboot of the device in between). How ever it still won't work.   :-(
    So the regional settings seem to change something but nobody knows what and obviously not the CLIP configuration...

• YeK
    YeK Posts: 150  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector

Hi Maverick6606,

I also think it’s a CLIP issue, but it depends on which phone you used. As I know, a user's location is Italy, he can see caller id on his phone after configuring the region to “Germany”. You can try different regions if you want.

• Maverick6606
    I tried some of the settings with no luck. I will try some more. How ever since every change of that setting requires the router to be restarted it is pretty time consuming. Therefore I need to try them in several attempts...
    I will report back as soon as I know more.
    But regarding the regional settings: the manual says, that the selection of the Regional settings may inflict the call quality. So does this mean, let's say I choose the regional settings for  italy e.g. that my calls are all routed through  italy in that case?
    Thank you very much
  • Zyxel_Support_CPE
    Zyxel_Support_CPE Posts: 188  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2018

Hi Maverick6606,

For these regions, we have different settings (voice tone, frequency etc.) For example, tone of voice call between Switzerland and Italy is different so that’s why it may inflict the call quality. Your call will go through to your ISP server, not “region” you configure.

Consumer Product Help Center