Configure NAS on VM8825 NOT in DMZ

Options
Catfish
Catfish Posts: 13  Freshman Member
edited November 2018 in Smart Home Product
I have a Synology NAS 6.2, to which I could connect from the internet before changing the modem with the Zyxel VM8825.
The only thing I had to do was run "Setup up router" a tool to configure port forwarding of NAS services on the router.
Now when I run this wizard I get the error:

"Checking network environment
Warning: if all port forwarded rules failed, please check if the are two or more routers in your network"

In fact, port forwarding is correctly configured, but I can only connect to the NAS from the internet if I configure it in DMZ.
It is not a solution that satisfies me.
You know how to get around this issue.

The firmware version is V5.13(ABLZ.0)b10_20180319.

#CPE_Nov_2018

Comments

• YeK
    YeK Posts: 150  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    Hi Catfish,

Can you please share your configuration of port forwarding on VM8825?

• Catfish
    Options
    I have not set manually port forwarding, or port triggering. In fact the list is empty. While if I move to "Home Networking" in the tab "UPnP" there are all the necessary port configured.
  • Catfish
    Options
    This is the screen of port forwarding
  • Catfish
    Options
    Port triggering
  • Catfish
    Options
    UPnP

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Those UPnP forwards point to your NAS?
  • Catfish
    Options
    Of course, I masked the IP only of privacy reasons
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    So UPnP from the NAS to the router works. Does one of that devices have a logging which has more information about what actually fails?

I masked the IP only of privacy reasons
    That are internal addresses. The third term might disclose which brand router you are using, but you already told that. So the address doesn't disclose anything. If you hadn't masked the IP's, I would have asked the same question, as I cannot know if that is the IP of your NAS.
  • Zyxel_Support_CPE
    Zyxel_Support_CPE Posts: 188  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary
    Options

Hi Catfish,

Here are some questions I would like confirm with you.

1.       You mention “port forwarding is correctly configured”, but you also said “I have not set manually port forwarding, or port triggering. In fact the list is empty”. So what’s setting of port forwarding you did?

2.       “I can only connect to the NAS from the internet if I configure it in DMZ.

It is not a solution that satisfies me.”  What’s application you expect?

3.       I think you just need enable UPNP on VMG8825, so does it work from internet to your NAS if to enable UPNP only?

• Catfish
    Options
    Hi Support, in answer your questions:

1- DSM 6.x have a wizard to configure the port forwarding on "any" router, in fact, as you can see in the tab "UPnP", there are several port mapping. This is the solution I have used with all my previous routers.

2- I do not want configure my NAS in DMZ, I prefer a port triggering or a port "masking" configuration (I have not tried yet).

3- last night I set manually the port mapping, and it works.
    I suppose that your suggestion "enable UPnP" is correct, because I realize that when my traffic comes out, the NAT configuration does not permitt the correct Internet DNS resolution of my systems

I will update my experience :)

Consumer Product Help Center