Fritzbox Guest LAN with Unify AP & GS-1200 Switch

habitoti
habitoti Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi,
After receiving a new Fritzbox 6490 from my ISP I had to exchange my former central home-network switch Netgear GS108 due to known incompatibilities with that FB (worked well with my previous 7490 FB). I replaced it with a Zyxel GS-1200, which works well behind the 6490. I need such a managed switch to separate the FB Guest LAN 4 from the home network and mesh it onto a VLAN 4 (that the Unify APs in my house broadcast accordingly). While this worked w/o issues with the Netgear router, it doesn't do so with the Zyxel now. While devices receive a proper guest LAN address, further traffic gets messed up. Sometimes packets "make it through" (e.g. Speedtest works all the time), but address resolution via DNS usually fail. It seems as if the VLAN is not properly separated at all.
Here is my configuration (at the moment just covering one AP in the network for testing). Port 1 is the home network from FB Port 1, Port 2 is the Guest LAN from FB Port 4. Port 8 connects to a basement Unify AP that I use for testing.

Software is the latest V1.00(ABME.3)C0.
Any clue what I might have forgotten or might be wrong in my setup?

Thanks, habitoti

#Home_Switch_Jan_2019

All Replies

• Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    While devices receive a proper guest LAN address, further traffic gets messed up. Sometimes packets "make it through" (e.g. Speedtest works all the time), but address resolution via DNS usually fail.

Is there more explain about this? Can you share details?
  • habitoti
    Let me know what exact information you would need or that would help. These are for now just the observations I made (and can easily reproduce). I connect e.g. a mobile device via the guest LAN SSID of the Unify AP (which tags that traffic as VLAN 4 then) and receive a proper IP from the FB's guest LAN address space (192.168.179.*) rather than the standard home network (192.168.1.*). Using Speedtest (app from speedtest.net) does work, however Google, Facebook etc. don't. What further forensic could help from this point on?
  • Edwardc
    Edwardc Posts: 55  Ally Member
    Try to swap a PC/NB with Unify AP, then PC/NB setup the VLAN ID in NIC advance setting, and do the same test to narrow down the problem. Just to check the problem is caused by unify AP or Zyxel switch.
  • habitoti
    edited January 2019
    I can do that tonight when back home. However, I don't suspect the AP, as the whole setup works with the Netgear GS108 using the same VLAN setup (it "just" has a -- known -- packet loss issue when attached directly to the FB, lowering overall throughput, which is why I want to replace it).
  • Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    edited January 2019
    Testing 'Edwardc' said, it seems OK at my side.
    Configuration the same as 'habitoti'.

GS1200-8,
    Port 1 connect to router 1 (192.168.10.*)
    Port 2 connect to router 2 (192.168.1.*)
    Port 8 connect to Laptop (Set VLAN 4 in NIC)

Result,
    Laptop got the IP from router 2 (192.168.1.*) and it can surf on the Internet. (I don't see DNS resolution problem. Just use Chrome to access Internet.)

No Unifi AP on hand to check this. :'(