At my wits end - iPad roaming Issues

lsmith
lsmith Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited April 14 in WirelessLAN
I am at my wits end. I have my NCA5123-NI access points, and one NCA5123-AC-HD, setup with a security profile to use 802.11r. According to Apple, all new iPads support this. I understand that the iPads themselves drop a connection a -70. I have setup my APs, to require a minimum -70 and to drop connections at -75. My Wi-Fi was never a problem w/laptops, but since adding iPads, it has been a nightmare. I have done testing, and my signal strength seems to be fine. The issue seems to be that as my users roam, they iPads are not smoothly transitioning APs. Sometimes, I have seen them completely lost connectivity, and even know they are right next to a strong AP, I have to toggle the Wi-Fi on the iPad to get it to transition. Other times, it seems to work fine transitioning as expected. I am starting to think that Zxyel is just not a good fit for use with the iPads. I have seen this article below and I am wondering if it isn't because with the the default Over-the-DS the the client is not able to always "communicate with the target AP through the current AP". I am thinking about switch over to Cisco devices, but up until now, have been happy with the ZyXel solution. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

For a client to move from its current AP to a target AP by using the FT (Fast Transition) protocol, the message exchanges are performed by using one of the following two methods:

• Over-the-Air FT Roaming

The client communicates directly with the target AP by using the IEEE 802.11 authentication with the FT authentication algorithm.

• Over-the-DS (Distribution System) FT Roaming (by default)

The client communicates with the target AP through the current AP.

The communication between the client and the target AP is carried in a FT action frame between the client and the current AP. Then it is sent through the Ethernet.

Comments

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 390  Zyxel Employee
    Hi Ismith,

For the 802.11r roaming issue, Zyxel AP sets the over-the-DS as default setting, and expect that if the stations are going to change to over-the-air, if failed to use over-the-DS.
    However, we found the iPhone did not change to over-the-air after it failed transmission via over-the-DS. We suppose that it's the same behavior of iPads, so the iPads are usually failed to raoming.
    In previous experience, the issue will be solved after disable over-the-DS via SSH to the controller and execute the following command.
    Router> configure terminal
    Router(config)# wlan-security-profile <security-profile name>
    Router(config-wlan-security default)# no dot11r over-the-ds activate
    Router(config-wlan-security default)# exit
    Router(config)# write

We will disable the over-the-DS as default setting in our next official release to avoid this kind of interoperability issue.
Sign In to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click on this button!