GS1900-8 switch randomly reset/reboot (Fixed)

Comments

• JasonTsai
    JasonTsai Posts: 104  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Chris2404,

It is good to hear you that there is no more reboot issue after upgrading the beta firmware.
    Hope you may return your topology to the original one and help us monitor for a week.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Jason
  • hopkins35
    hopkins35 Posts: 8  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Looking good here as well with the beta firmware, uptime of 4+ days so far.

However I am seeing some strange routing behaviour with my LAG setup when iPerf bandwidth testing from the PC on port 1 of my first GS1900-8 to the PC on port 1 on my second GS1900-8. I want to investigate further once the reboot issue is confirmed as fixed but what I'm seeing is when sending data from PC1 on switch 1 (port 1) to PC2 on switch 2 (port 1) I'm seeing traffic also going to port 7 on switch 2 (part of my second LAG group) and disappointing speeds (30MB/s instead of 100MB/s). If I send data from PC1 to the server on port 7 of switch 2 or from PC2 to the server it works fine at around 100MB/s and with no activity showing on other ports. On this beta firmware is there any setup differences on port 1 for the packet capturing purposes?
  • JasonTsai
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @hopkins35,

We are glad to hear you there is also no reboot issue on your switch.
    For the traffic issue, we add mirroring CPU packet to port 1 in this beta firmware for troubleshooting.
    We will provide you another beta firmware that doesn't have this feature.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • hopkins35
    Hi @Zyxel_Jason can I double check with you that mirroring has definitely been turned off on that last beta firmware that I received (V2.40(AAHH.0)_20180312 | 03/12/2018), I'm still seeing duplicate bandwidth on port 1 when doing iPerf testing on other ports even though the devices on port 1 are powered off and their ports at 10Mb speed. This is affecting both of the GS1900-8s that I've been testing.

• JasonTsai
    Hi @hopkins35,

I have a local test with iperf3 on PCs and GS1900-8 upgrades to the beta firmware, but I don't have the symptom you mentioned.
    My topology:
    [GS1900-8] Port 1---GS1900-24E(I configure speed 10M like yours.)
    [GS1900-8] Port 5---PC
    [GS1900-8] Port 8---PC

Here is my screenshot in my test:

If there is anything different between your test and mine, please share us on the forum.

Thanks.
    Jason
  • hopkins35
    Hi @Zyxel_Jason

This is my topology on that switch:
    [GS1900-8] Port 1---PC (port at auto speed, @10Mb only while turned off (waiting for WOL packet)
    [GS1900-8] Port 2---GS1900-24 (member of LAG2)
    [GS1900-8] Port 3---Powerline adaptor
    [GS1900-8] Port 4---iLO port of HP server
    [GS1900-8] Port 5---Satellite receiver
    [GS1900-8] Port 6---GS1900-24 (member of LAG2)
    [GS1900-8] Port 7---Server (member of LAG1)
    [GS1900-8] Port 8---Server (member of LAG1)

No activity on switch:

File transfer from satellite receiver (port 5) to PC on 2nd GS1900-8 (port 1) via GS1900-24

iPerf from PC on 2nd GS1900-8 to server on 1st GS1900-8 (LAG1) via GS1900-24

The same scenario, of unwanted traffic on port 1, repeats when the above tests are done in reverse from devices on the other GS1900-8 and when the devices on port 1 are on and the port is at 1Gb speed!

• JasonTsai
    Hi @hopkins35,

Since you have LAG connection on your switch, I also configure LAG in my local test.
    Here is my topology:
    [GS1900-8] Port 1---Switch
    [GS1900-8] Port 2---GS1900-24E(LAG2)
    [GS1900-8] Port 6---GS1900-24E(LAG2)
    [GS1900-8] Port 7---PC(iperf3 server)

[GS1900-24E] Port 9---PC2(iperf3 client)

Here is my screenshot when I do iperf3 on PC2:

Since I still don't see the symptom, I recommend you follow the steps below:
    1. Go to the Mirror configuration page(Configuration -> Mirror) to check the feature is disabled.
    2. If the Mirror feature is already disabled, I think you need to use Wireshark on the PC which connects to port 1 to capture the packets so that you may see if those traffic is really from mirroring.

In addition to above, hope you may provide me the latest tech support via Private Message, we may double check it for you.

Thanks.
    Jason
  • hopkins35
    PMd you @Zyxel_Jason
  • hopkins35
    To properly replicate my testing you should have a 3rd PC connected to Port 1.
  • JasonTsai
    edited March 2018
    Hi all,

Thanks for @hopkins35 's information.

If you have the similar problem when upgrading from old beta version to latest beta version, please follow the procedure below to recover.
    1. Backup the running-config.(Maintenance -> Configuration -> Backup)
    2. Open it via "Notepad++" (Freeware, Download link: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.6.html )
    3. Find and remove the following configuration:
      mirror session 2 source interfaces 2-8,lag1-8 rx<br>mirror session 2 destination interface 1 allow-ingress<br>mirror session 3 source interfaces 2-8,lag1-8 tx
    4. Save the file.
    5. Restore this new running-config to GS1900-8.(The switch will reboot after restore successfully)
    The CPU traffic should no longer mirror to port 1.

Hope it helps.
    Jason