Port forwarding not working - ssh

hummingbird
hummingbird Posts: 2  Freshman Member
Hello,

I have a laptop located within my LAN which I want to connect to through ssh from the Internet.

Within my modem configuration I enabled the port forwarding on port 22 (first next image). Also I relaxed my firewall rules (second image) and created some specific rules to let incoming connections (third image)

Within the LAN I can connect to my laptop via ssh without any problem (so the ssh configuration is fine), but I cannot connect to the laptop from the Internet. I tried to scan the 22 port from https://www.canyouseeme.org but is still closed. The only way I see the 22 port open on the modem is when I allow remote access to the modem via ssh (maintenance --> remote management), which is not what I want!

Honestly, I don't know what else I can do! 

Can you help me?

Thank you

All Replies

• Hummel
    Hummel Posts: 212  Master Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    I think the reason your port forwarding doesn't work from Internet to LAN client is because port 22 is used in your router for SSH. Do you have to use port 22? Try to use another port number might be a solution.
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    @Hummel

Sorry for the late reply, but after having moved the port to another one, it took me a while to make SSH to work (in LAN). And I finally managed to connect also from the Internet!

Another thing that I did was to change the firewall settings directly on the laptop machine I wanted to connect (I had forgot this step). Allowing incoming connection from the Internet was not the default setting. Finally, a restart of the machine was necessary for some reason.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Best

Consumer Product Help Center