Zyxel USG 110 and mDNS?

mrwee
mrwee Posts: 40  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Security Ideas
Venturing into segmenting the network with multiple VLANs (Guests, IoT things, Admin etc.), I seem to have multicast in place (USG 110 as router, GS1920-48 switch and Ubiquity Wi-Fi), but struggle with mDNS for e.g. Chromecast & other mDNS services.
I am unable to find good information on this for the Zyxel router, so I'm wondering if it needs to do other than the VLAN routing, while the switch manages the multicasting? Where should mDNS be handled?
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I'm having the exact same issue using a GS1920-48 with a Unifi USG and multiple Unifi APs
  • mrwee
    I think that you can/need to do something specific on the UniFi USG. It just can't match the Zyxel USG110 for me, so I'm really keen on keeping the router. My multicast works across my VLAN's, but mDNS doesn't :(

But make sure your multicasting works first :)

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2021

Hi @mrwee

Currently, the USG110 doesn’t support multicast across different VLANs.We will put it into the idea category for future development evaluation.

• mrwee

Hi @mrwee

Currently, the USG110 doesn’t support multicast across different VLANs.We will put it into the idea category for future development evaluation.

Ok, thanks for your reply. This is, needless to say, sad news. Will see what options we have then. Hopefully this will be implemented in the USG range soon :)
  • mocr
    mocr Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment

Hi @mrwee

Ok, thanks for your reply. This is, needless to say, sad news. Will see what options we have then. Hopefully this will be implemented in the USG range soon :)

This is exactly the same problem as I have mentioned in my idea https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/5444/atp-200-multicast-and-broadcast-routing-across-vlans-to-enable-media-sharing-protocols#latest. So we can join our forces for this feature request :-).

Radek
  • mrwee
    Hi @mocr. Interesting possible workaround. I'm also still struggling getting a viable solution up and running for multicast + mDNS. It seems like more and more products are utilizing multicast, so one should think there were more solutions out there.

Did you test the bonjour-reflector?
    When I search for info, it seems like USG can support multicast across VLANs, if the correct rules are in place. I just can't get it to work.
  • mocr
    mocr Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    mrwee said:
    Hi @mocr. Interesting possible workaround. I'm also still struggling getting a viable solution up and running for multicast + mDNS. It seems like more and more products are utilizing multicast, so one should think there were more solutions out there.

Did you test the bonjour-reflector?
    When I search for info, it seems like USG can support multicast across VLANs, if the correct rules are in place. I just can't get it to work.

Hi @mrwee,
    I have also tried setting up rules but was not successful.

I do not know how to test reflector without putting additional HW into the NW. I believe that we are not able to solve this without such feature implemented on the ATM / USG.
  • +1 for this feature request,  have a usg60 and the need has come up to separate several sonos speakers on a separate vlan