Cheap Gigabit Switch With VLAN Capabilities

Garaofsand
Garaofsand Posts: 2
First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch

On a shoestring budget, I have a number of device that support VLANs that I'd like to segment, plus I'd like to open a wifi network with captive portal secured away from my main network.

What I need, though, is a cheap gigabit VLAN configurable switch. Where should I be looking for such an item?

Realistically, I only need 4 gigabit ports (uplink) and the others can be 10/100. Any switches like that?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Garaofsand,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!
    Regarding your requirements, I'll recommend two devices for your reference.

GS1200-8HPv2 a pure standalone switch which supports 802.1Q VLAN and links of 10/100/1000.
    GS1920-8HPv2 a Nebula flex switch that also meet your needs and support Nebula Control Center which is more convenient to manage & monitor anywhere you are.

Hope it helps.

Jonas,
  • Garaofsand
    Garaofsand Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited March 2021

On a shoestring budget, I have a number of device that support VLANs that I'd like to segment, plus I'd like to open a wifi network with captive portal secured away from my main network.

What I need, though, is a cheap gigabit VLAN configurable switch. Where should I be looking for such an item?

Realistically, I only need 4 gigabit ports (uplink) and the others can be 10/100. Any switches like that?

i got this,..
  • TiggerLAS
    TiggerLAS Posts: 64  Ally Member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment

You didn't really say how many ports you needed. . . .

These days, I wouldn't even mess with a switch with 10/100 ports,
    unless you're buying something used.

I'm assuming that you don't need power-over-ethernet. . .

GS1200-8  (without the HP). . .     $40 or so on-line.   8 ports, gigabit, managed.
    GS1900-16                                    $85 or so on-line.   16 ports, gigabit, managed

Though I've seen *USED* Cisco Catalyst 2960G gigabit switches
    on ebay in the $50 range for 24 gigabit ports. . .