Zyxel GS1200-8

anfss
anfss Posts: 15  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
I bought this switch a few hours ago, but it was a mistake. The switch is always rebooting, it cannot take more than 2 minutes.
I already upgraded the firmware to version 2 and I think it got worse.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @anfss,

If the Switch keeps rebooting without connecting any end device on it, it should related to hardware issue.
    Please contact your reseller for the RMA process.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • anfss
    I already did that (amazon.es). They redirect the issue to you and your answer was:
    Hello,
    We are sorry you had issues with your product! To get the best possible service, please contact our technical support team here: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/de/requests/new . They will give you all technical support needed to get started or replace the product if needed.

I sent a message some minutes ago to your support channel.
    Connecting the switch to only two computers, sending packets between them... no problem.
    When I connect the switch to my router (Vodafone-Huawei HG8247Q), with no other equipment (only my computer to do some pings), the switch reboots every 2-4 minutes.
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @anfss,

Thanks for your detail information.
    This new update for the symptom is more like related to software now.

If the reboot issue happens when there is only Huawei router connecting to GS1200(no other devices/PC connect to the Switch, that is, only one port is up on Switch.), hope you may help to do the following test:
    Connect your PC directly to the Huawei router(Better the same port as the Switch, so you may need to unplug Switch)
    Run Wireshark on your PC and start capture packet for around 5 minutes. (Wireshark download link: https://www.wireshark.org/download.html )

Please share the packet to me, we would like to check if there is any packet from Huawei router may cause this issue.

Appreciate your cooperation. 
    Jason
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @anfss,

Thanks for your cooperation.
    I have received your private message and the packets you help to collect.

From the test description in the private message, I assume your topology should be like the following:
    Huawei HG8247Q(192.168.1.1)---GS1200-8(192.168.1.188)
                                               |---------PC(192.168.1.111)
    I use packet builder to send those packets you collect from my PC to my local GS1200-8 which has V2.00(ABME.0)C0 version and ping the Switch at the same time, but my switch doesn't reboot.
    Do you see the LED on all ports turn off and turn on again like in bootup stage when the issue happens? 
    I ask this because ICMP timeout is sometimes related to "Router is too busy to forward the packet" or "Switch is busy to handle other higher priority packet than ICMP".

May you able to share a video so we can help you to check how you test and the LED status when the symptom happens?

When I connect the switch to my router (Vodafone-Huawei HG8247Q), with no other equipment (only my computer to do some pings), the switch reboots every 2-4 minutes.
    Is the topology of the test description above like the below? 
    Huawei HG8247Q(192.168.1.1)---GS1200-8(192.168.1.188)----PC(192.168.1.111)
    May you ping GS1200 and Router from PC at the same time?

Jason
  • anfss
    You: Do you see the LED on all ports turn off and turn on again like in bootup stage when the issue happens? 
    => Yes. the switch turn off... it's like a reboot
    The topology  that I used for these tests was like the first one. The zyxel switch was connected to the port 1 of my router and my computer connected to the port 2.
    I also test (another test) with a raspberry pi connected to the zyxel switch and additionally made some pings between my computer and the raspberry pi. the results were the same. The raspberry pi loses ethernet connection during the reboot time.

You: May you ping GS1200 and Router from PC at the same time?
    => I did all the pings and other connections that were possible to test if there was another possibility. The router replies during the switch reboot. ... but you can notice that in the information that I sent. I didn't send the packets captured during the multi ping tests (to reduce the number of packets) but you can see that there were some packets sent between them - the network port of my computer has not been disconnected.

(sorry about my english!)
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @anfss,

We would like to check the packets between Huawei router and GS1200, so please help to enable Mirror feature with the following steps:
    1. The topology will be like
    Huawei HG8247Q(192.168.1.1)---GS1200-8(192.168.1.188)----PC(192.168.1.111)
    2. Access GS1200 via WebGUI and go to Mirroring.
    3. Select "Enable" for Port Mirroring, "Both" for Mirror Direction.
    4. Choose "Monitor Port" for the port that connects to your PC, "Mirrored Port" for the port that connects to your Router.
    5. Click Apply button.

After apply the mirroring configuration, you may run Wireshark on your PC and you will see not only the packets receive/send on your PC but also the packets between the Router and GS1200-8.
    Please share me the packet capture file after you see the issue happens.(You may still PM me for the packet.)

BTW, please also help to take a screenshot of System page after the issue happens.

Jason
  • anfss
    @Nebula_Jason I sent a PM

• anfss
    This last night I did what you had asked. I disconnected everything that can have electrical interferences with the switch: the TV cable that is connected to my router, a powerline system and the photovoltaic solar panels (that are connect to the same electrical "branch" circuit - I don't know how to call this). Also disconnected all the other network equipments and client devices.
    With only the router, the Zyxel switch and my computer, I did several tests for +/- 1 hour and the switch didn't reboot.
    I started to connect everything again and no reboots were detected.
    However this morning I noticed that the switch up time was only 1 hour and a few minutes. After some time I noticed a new reboot from the switch.
    So, I tried to put a DreyTek Vigor AP900 in the middle (between the router and the zyxel switch) and it's working for almost 5 hours with no reboots.

But this is no solution for me. The DreyTek is not mine and, even if it was, I don't want to have this equipment connected - with one AP  like this (that is also switch) i don't need the zyxel switch!

My conclusion is that, this is a construction problem of your switch and there is no solution. I paid 32 euros for this and now I'll have to buy a new switch ( I already tried a TP-LINK, it's cheaper, and works well).

Best regards
  • anfss
    Conclusion...

I bought a TP-LINK SG108E (27 euros), with +/- the same specs of the zyxel 1200-8, and everything is working now.

• Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @anfss,

Appreciate your time to deep dive into this issue with us .

From the result we suspect that there are power coming from the TV cables, passes through the router, then go into the GS1200-8.

As the switch has a self-protection mechanism to make sure it operates in a well condition, it will trigger a reboot when detecting abnormal power input, thus causes the network phenomenal you are encountering. In our future design, we will consider the cases you have encountered.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Jason