USG310 - 4.62(AAPJ.0): Wildcard FDQN seems not to be working for routing!

Options
cfts_ea
cfts_ea Posts: 19  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited April 2021 in Security
I have been trying to get Wildcard FDQN's working in routing with mixed results right now I'm having to list domains and sub-domains and it's getting quite tedious.

for example, I wish to allow/redirect all traffic to *.fbcdn.com to another link, I have this working listing each and every domain/subdomain, however, the wild card option seems not to be working.

I have made the appropriate wild cards but as said these seem not to work, Is it possible for someone to advise how I'm supposed to use this feature?

Best Answers

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,811  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Ok something to keep in mind about Wildcard FDQN vs non-Wildcard FDQN as non-wildcard are looked up by the USG and Wildcard FDQN are found by DNS lookups done to the USG or though the USG so if a client uses say Firefox with DNS over HTTPS the USG will not see the lookups.

• PeterUK
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So you got clients connect by VPN to the USG?

Can you not run a bind server where DNS is in the clear? 

All Replies

• cfts_ea
    edited March 2021
    Options
    a small correction: for example, I wish to allow/redirect all traffic to *.fbcdn.com to another link, I have this working listing each and every domain/subdomain, however the wild card option seems not to be working.
  • PeterUK
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Ok something to keep in mind about Wildcard FDQN vs non-Wildcard FDQN as non-wildcard are looked up by the USG and Wildcard FDQN are found by DNS lookups done to the USG or though the USG so if a client uses say Firefox with DNS over HTTPS the USG will not see the lookups.

• cfts_ea
    edited March 2021
    Options
    PeterUK said:

Thank you, all DNS lookups are routed through VPN then to a SDNS (DOH) server on our side, So I'm guessing they're no way for me to resolve this easily.
  • PeterUK
    Answer ✓
    Options

• cfts_ea
    edited March 2021
    Options
    PeterUK said:

Thanks, I set up a raspberry pi with a Commercial grade VPN, Pihole and DNSCrypt works a treat, complements the USG very nicely.

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/wiki/DNSCrypt-2.0
    https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole

Security Highlight