Zyxel Communications

Hello everyone, our company is planning to get Zyxel Communications network, we may have around 150 to 200 end points (wifi , IP phone , RJ sockets), generally how is Zyxel network devices? Are they reliable?

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Disclaimer: HPE fan writing.

IMVHO the reliability of "pro" segment is... nice. If carefully enough shielded from surge (UPS, Ethernet decouplers) the firewalls run quite well for about 6-8 years at least.
    Weak point for USG100 and USG20/USG20W were the PSU, which can least 4-5 years before take vacation.
    Fortunately, with a good "standard" switching PSU with higher Ampere value can be a nice and affordable replacement.
    About switches, an unmanaged 16P 1GBPS (twin fan, noisy) was replaced after 8 years of 24/7 as preventive maintenance, going fanless and with more ports.
    I'm still considering Zyxel among options for buying good value, features, support and lifespan products. Hoping to see really soon affordable 2.5GbE and 5GbE (or as some say, multi-gigabit compliant) with a good level of management and warranty, because as far as I can see now in my country, this kind of product is lacking.

There are cheaper products, there are better products. As always on market.
  • WiliamHurts
    WiliamHurts Posts: 2
    edited April 2021

Hello everyone, our company is planning to get Zyxel Communications network, we may have around 150 to 200 end points (wifi , IP phone , RJ sockets), generally how is Zyxel network devices? Are they reliable?

issue got solved
  • mMontana
    Currently with not enough ports and not cheap enough to buy, for my customers.
    Not implying that the price is out of the market range, but still not low enough to consider viable the replacement for 24GbE ports network switches (currently no 10GbE connectivity for devices and/or between racks)

• Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi @mMontana,

How many ports do you need in total and how many of them you want to be Multi-Gigabit port?

• mMontana
    edited April 2021
    I don't know if this could be viable...
    2.5GbE and 5GbE should be the drop-in replacements for 1GbE if more transfer capacity is needed without a re-do of the whole cable infrastructure.
    Therefore, for a 26 port switch, 24 should be 10/100/1000/2.5/5 and 2 should be 2.5/5/10GbE for create a suitable replacement, even with SFP+ capable ports for the latter two. 10/100 compatibility may not be mandatory, but it helps for older devices like printers yet not upgraded.
    The last two ports could do nicely uplink for core switches or peer level rack connection. 52 port version could be a nice companion but IMVHO I am not sure if the market could receive correctly this kind of product, yet.
    For "software" features, at least "Smart management" is mandatory, with HTTPS and SSH interface, SNMP, vLAN, LACP, Trunking, NTP. Useful but not necessary may be RADIUS support.

I am aware that most of "corporate" computers still not have 2.5 or 5GbE adapters on board, and the chip shortage will slow the adoption of mainboard manufacturers for servers, desktops, laptops, APs and NASes. But several mainboard producers for custom build market are already delivering 2.5GbE capable products. Also, the chip shortage can lead to a relaxed approach about components for network devices: producers could think to re-use older and bigger, hotter, hungrier CPUs and memory for build newer products. So newer and more powerful devices like that could be... power hungry and quite high temperature and noise.

If the delta between a newer 1GbE Ethernet Switch and a Multi Gigabit alternative will be interesting enough (not over 30/35% MSRP compared) maybe the "step to the future" could be more interesting than having a newer-but-not-better replacement for old devices.
    I am aware that current full 1GbE ethernet switches on market are cooler, less power-demanding, with higher switching capacity and more RAM and Flash. But this translates into 10/12% tops faster transfers during high load situantions... and of course a lower power bill.
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @mMontana,
    Therefore, for a 26 port switch, 24 should be 10/100/1000/2.5/5 and 2 should be 2.5/5/10GbE for create a suitable replacement, even with SFP+ capable ports for the latter two. 10/100 compatibility may not be mandatory, but it helps for older devices like printers yet not upgraded.
    For these requirements, I would like to inform that this is already in our future plan. Please stay tuned. :)

In current stage, as @Zyxel_Can mentioned before, we have the following switch which may temporarily fulfill your goal.

XS1930
    XS3800
    XGS1250-12
    XGS1010-12

Jonas,

Jonas,

Security Highlight