What should I do?

I have VERY old router model ZyXel NBG 416n. It still works in 2021 but on my laptop Windows is "angry" and keeps on sending messages that "ZyXel is unprotected and it uses old standard of security". Also from time to time my wifi disconnects from laptop and phones. What should I do to fix it? Or should I give this one to recycle and get new router? What can you recommend me to do? 

HALP!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
  • Scorpione
    Scorpione Posts: 34  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    The Armor G1 is obsolete and Armor G5 have nice skills (speed wifi, range wifi, vpn client and a 10gbit lan but not yet mature the firmware: great hardware but bud support from zyxel, both G1 and G5 aren't with a complete firmware. I think is more nice the G5 because have a lot of functions.
  • Asgatlat
    Asgatlat Posts: 81  Ally Member
    Scorpione said:
    The Armor G1 is obsolete and Armor G5 have nice skills (speed wifi, range wifi, vpn client and a 10gbit lan but not yet mature the firmware: great hardware but bud support from zyxel, both G1 and G5 aren't with a complete firmware. I think is more nice the G5 because have a lot of functions.
    i confirm that G1 and G5's firmware are crappy :angry:
  • CoenB
    CoenB Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi Olga, I have the G1 (NBG6818) since november 2020 and it works fine with the (via Zyxel_Jerry delivered) firmware installed on it. I have a 1 Gb (fiber) connection with my ISP. The G1 replaced a vmg8324. With myself , wife and 2 kids working from home and in between 11 and 17 devices connected to it at a given time, the G1 delivers a more stable connection to the devices is my experience The choice between a G1 and G5 depends on the specifications you require, the specifications e.g speed your ISP can deliver and what you are willing to pay for. Do keep in mind the G1 and G5 do no support vlan's (e.g. telephone or tv signal via the router, but your current NBG-416N does not support that either, so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Asgatlat
    Asgatlat Posts: 81  Ally Member
    hi @CoenB
    which firmware version do you have for your G1?
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Olga said:
    What should I do to fix it?
    Backup current configuration.
    Verify if there's a more recent firmware. Then apply it.
    Ensure yourself that the Wireless setting is WPA2-AES. No WPA, no TKIP, no WEP.

This should help your notebook to be less angry.

Replacing anyway could help you to have a faster and supported product.

Consumer Product Help Center