experiencing irregular drop out -router? settings? can router help diagnose source

Options
Tall_Paul
Tall_Paul Posts: 1
edited May 2021 in Smart Home Product
Hi I have had our internet supplier investigate the drop out issues. They have installed a monitor onto our home network that has told them its not the fiber supply that is the issue, it is something our side. The drop out occurs around maybe every 8 mins for couple of seconds though sometimes it can be ok for half hour or more. The network is hard wired (10/100) to 3 high spec pc's and sky Q plus wifi to phones etc.  We have 2 wireless network links (through mains) also, though these only extend the wifi. Its the hardwired PC's and sky Q we notice drop out on mostly. 
The internet provider tells us the issue happens when we swamp the router with simultaneous uploads and downloads. That is when both are at max at same time it drops signal. My question is can the router help me narrow down which device is causing the issue, or help me limit a device to narrow down or fix the overloading. Or could it be the router is not high enough spec for our needs. We have a Zyxel XMG3927-B50A. This was supplied by our provider. we get around 400 upload, 40 download on speedtest.

All Replies

• Zyxel_CPE
    Zyxel_CPE Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Dear Paul

This is Zyxel global support team, and nice to meet you.
    According to your description, it seems you are our partner in local.
    Due to some information might sensitive and related to the ISP, we suggest you contact with Zyxel's local support team in your region for an official technical support.
    I believe you can have more troubleshooting assistance from them.
    Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Zyxel global support team
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 841  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hello @Tall_Paul

I think that the statistics on your router per port in terms of number of packets per second could help you, as you appear to have have your PCs and Sky Q box on separate LAN ports.

Section 25.3 of the user guide at ftp.zyxel.com in ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/XMG3927-B50A/user_guide will show you how to get the LAN statistics.

You could also use a network monitoring program like Paessler PRTG see https://www.paessler.com/prtg (which has a free download) to capture the statistics and graph them against time 24/7 and also capture all of the log messages of the router by configuring Syslog.

PRTG would then give you graphs like the following, of ETH2 on my Zyxel VMG1312-B10D router that you could use over time to identify issues.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
          Tony

Consumer Product Help Center