Upload QoS - VMG3925-B10C

Options
Jester
Jester Posts: 3
Friend Collector
edited June 2021 in Smart Home Product
Hi,

I am looking for some help with the following scenario;

Currently have an issue with the upload bandwidth. The download is in the region of 20mbps but the upload is severely degraded at 0.5mbps.

All devices are connected wirelessly.

User A infrequently utilises all of the upload bandwidth in large data packets.

User B is constantly using upload bandwidth but with much smaller packets and suffers significant packet loss when User A is working.

I want to prioritise User B in this situation.

I have had a look at the QoS interface on my router and cannot intuitively work out how to achieve this.

(please forgive me for any technical language errors)

Thanks,

Jester

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 841  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hello @Jester

QoS is complicated, but can be understood.

Chapter 10 of the VMG3925-B10C user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG3925-B10C/user_guide talks about how to do it.

The traffic going through the VMG3925-B10C has to be marked so that it can be classified, put into different queues, and then policed and shaped so that only a certain amount of each traffic flow is passed on, with the excess being dropped.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony

• tonygibbs16
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hello @Jester

Looking into QoS a bit more for you, I think that if you go to Network Setting then QoS then General, and enable QoS, and then on the same screen set the 'Upstream traffic priority Assigned by' field to a value of 'Packet Length' and then Apply it, then you might get a first improvement of what you are looking for.

In this case, I think that User B would get some more priority upstream because they are sending smaller packets and all smaller packets would get priority.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
           Tony

• tonygibbs16
    Options
    I have just turned this on for my own SOHO network.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • tonygibbs16
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have just turned this on for my own SOHO network.

Kind regards,
         Tony
    and it is working well @jester on my uplink traffic on my VMG1312-B10D router and helping with my Google Meet and Skype calls.

• Jester
    Jester Posts: 3
    Friend Collector
    Options
    @tonygibbs16 Thanks for this. Chapter 10 is quite daunting but will give it a go. Thanks for the link to that. Setting QoS to packet length is the first thing I will try. I'll report back on how it goes.

Consumer Product Help Center