Virtual Server Load Balancer with MS Exchange

InterLAN
InterLAN Posts: 9  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
I plan to utilize the Virtual Server Load Balancer in a Flex 700 for implementing high availability for SMTP, OutlookAnywhere and ActiveSync. 
What is known about the suitability of this function to fulfill this purpose? 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @InterLAN,

Assume your Exchange server have Client Access Server array, you can apply with the firewall virtual server load balance for mail server HA. 

Please be careful on the appropriate way for health check purpose. Or else, there could be issue when forwarding traffic to internal CAS.

• InterLAN
    Hi Zyxel_Cooldia
    Thank you for your answer. It is however, not quite the answer I was looking for.
    While SMTP load balancing seems straight forward, the plethora of services Exchange Server delivers through HTTPS, could be more challenging. 
    I would like community members to share their hands-on experience with load balancing Exchange Server, if anyone has gained such experience. 
    Meanwhile, I wonder why the "Real Server" dialogue use "Server IP" rather than Address Objects. Why break the concept of objectification? 

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Indeed, it would be challenging to check Exchange server service status in application layer. But TCP connections should be general for most scenario. :)
    As for objectification in Server IP, we will evaluate it in the future.
    Thanks for valuable suggestion.
  • InterLAN
    Hi Zyxel_Cooldia
    Thank for taking objectification into account.

I am not suggesting that the health check should be possible at higher levels. On the contrary, I agree that keeping it at the current level, will be sufficient for most scenarios. By now, the results of actual use, is the most desired information. 

Security Highlight