How to set up GS1900 VLAN's using a non-Zyxel router?

UserJ
UserJ Posts: 3
edited August 2022 in Switch

I’m having trouble getting VLANs to work on my Zyxel GS1900-8.

In my test situation, the GS1900-8 has 2 ports connected:

• On port 1, it’s connected to my Asus router with (highly configurable) Fresh tomato firmware. I have 2 VLAN’s on the router; VLAN2 and VLAN3. Those VLANS works fine together with a Zyxel NAP102 WAP that's connected to this ASUS router.
  • On port 4, my Windows10 laptop.

All works fine in the 'default' situation; if I configure the ASUS router to send untagged packages to port 1 of the Zyxel GS1900-8, because the GS1900-8 uses it’s default VLAN1 and has all ports in the ‘untagged’ section by default.  

Then I tried to set up VLANs by configuring:

• the ASUS router to send tagged VLAN2 and VLAN3 packages to the GS1900-8
  • the GS1900-8 as follows:VLAN2 settings: port 1 (the Asus router) = ‘Tagged’, Trunk enabled, port 4 (my laptop) = untagged and Trunk disabled, all other ports=excluded.

This doesn't work; f.i. from my laptop on port 4, I can’t ping the ASUS router on port 1, when I would expect them to connect via VLAN2.

Have I misconfigured something? Or could it be possible that the packaged tagged by the ASUS router aren’t compatible with the GS1900-8? The ASUS router works fine with the Zyxel NAP102 though…

I would highly appreciate your thoughts, as I've spent several hours and can't solve it myself...

Regards, John

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @UserJ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

For your scenario, you need to configure PVID 2 for port 4 of GS1900 since your laptop is untagged device and connected on it, and you don't have to enable VLAN Trunk.

Description of VLAN Trunk:

This means that when your GS1900 enables VLAN Trunk on port 1 and without creating any VLAN (only VLAN 1) then GS1900 will pass VLAN 2 & 3 from ASUS router to other switch, for example.

Adam

All Replies

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @UserJ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

For your scenario, you need to configure PVID 2 for port 4 of GS1900 since your laptop is untagged device and connected on it, and you don't have to enable VLAN Trunk.

Description of VLAN Trunk:

This means that when your GS1900 enables VLAN Trunk on port 1 and without creating any VLAN (only VLAN 1) then GS1900 will pass VLAN 2 & 3 from ASUS router to other switch, for example.

Adam
  • UserJ
    UserJ Posts: 3
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for your swift and helpful reply. It's working fine now!

Regards, John