Powerline PLA5456: How many devices can be used at once?

I have expanded my network over time with mostly PLA5456 (4) and a couple of Exotollo (2) devices and they have worked fine.  But I recently added a new PLA5456 and a previous PlA5456 one stopped working.

1. Is there a max number of devices such as 6?

2. I have installed the PLA Series Configuration software and it doesn't seem to display properly.  It cannot find any of the PLA devices on my network.  Is encryption keeping it from finding them? Or is there something else that I need to do.

3.  On the PLA 5456 device that stopped working after I added a new one, the network connection lights are still lit green and look fine though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

GDB

All Replies

• Podo
    Podo Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    What is your Extollo PLA's model name?

If you simplify your network such as connect your router and PC via PLA5456 and nothing else in network can you see PLA devices using Zyxel's PLA software?

You can also try upgrading your ethernet driver or try with another PC.
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @GDB

I think that you have to add them in pairs.

The user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/PLA5456/user_guide/PLA5456_v7.0.2_Ed6.pdf says
    "You can add a number of PLAs on a powerline network, but you can use the RESET/ENCRYPT button on only two PLAs at a time."

Kind regards,
        Tony
  • tonygibbs16
    edited August 2021
    Hello @GDB

I don't know what the numbers are for Zyxel Power Line Adapters (PLA), but TP-Link for their devices are talking about 6 or 8 at a time per powerline segment, see https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/434/

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • tonygibbs16
    edited August 2021
    Hello @GDB

Section 4.1.2 of the user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/PLA5456/user_guide/PLA5456_v7.0.2_Ed6.pdf says that you have to install the adapter's password, called the Device Access Key (DAK), in to the Zyxel PLA Series Configuration Utility. This password is printed on the poweline adapter itself.

and Section 4.4 talks about the Configuration Screen, which is where you enter the DAK of each PLA.

So I think yes, security is stopping the utility finding all of your adapters.

Kind regards,
         Tony

Consumer Product Help Center