Networking issue with Zyxel WLAN Controller and VLANs

Options
EleanorWyatt
EleanorWyatt Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I'm kinda stuck with this issue, customer reported some screenshots from his iPhone, which doesn't really give away much information, but before I travel three hours to the customer, maybe somebody of you have an idea.

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

This setup works fine for the first two APs which are directly connected to the controller. The other two APs are connected to a Layer 2 switch, which is then connected to the WLAN controller. When you want to connect to the Guest network through one of those two APs, you won't get a connection (iPhone screenshot of the customer just states "no internet connection"). However, I see the DHCP request of the client on the controller and also that this iPhone requested an IP address approx. every five minutes. The internal network works fine other those two APs works fine.

My question: Is the Layer 2 switch somehow unable to redirect the tagged packages from the controller back to the responsible AP? Is there an issue with my VLAN configuration?

Any help is massively appreciated.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Hi @EleanorWyatt,
    Did you set the VLAN tagging on the layer 2 switch? The VLAN100 is tagged, so the ports connected with the AP, DHCP server, and gateway, should be the member of the VLAN100 with tagging. 
    If the AP connected to the controller directly without problem, the configuration of the VLAN should be no problem. 
    If you set the configuration on the switch ports but still have problem, please PM me the configuration of the controller, and then we'll help to check.
  • EleanorWyatt
    Options
    I'm kinda stuck with this issue, customer reported some screenshots from his iPhone, which doesn't really give away much information, but before I travel three hours to the customer, maybe somebody of you have an idea.

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, https://omegle.onl/  but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

This setup works fine for the first two APs which are directly connected to the controller. The other two APs are connected to a Layer 2 switch, which is then connected to the WLAN controller. When you want to connect to the Guest network through one of those two APs, you won't get a connection (iPhone screenshot of the customer just states "no internet connection"). However, I see the DHCP request of the client on the controller and also that this iPhone requested an IP address approx. every five minutes. The internal network works fine other those two APs works fine.

My question: Is the Layer 2 switch somehow unable to redirect the tagged packages from the controller back to the responsible AP? Is there an issue with my VLAN configuration?

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Hi @EleanorWyatt,
    Did you check the VLAN setting of the switch ports as we replied in previous post?
    Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have set the VLAN on the switch ports but still can't access wireless.
  • lovenda
    lovenda Posts: 1
    Options

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one omegle tv (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

thank you! it's a great solution.
  • Serbian
    Serbian Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    Options

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

This setup works fine for the first two APs which are directly connected to the controller. The other two APs are connected to a Layer 2 switch, which is then connected to the WLAN controller. When you want to connect to the Guest network through one of those two APs, you won't get a connection (iPhone screenshot of the customer just states "no internet connection"). However, I see the DHCP request of the client on the controller and also that this iPhone requested an IP address approx. every five minutes. The internal network works fine other those two APs works fine. chatiw ometv

This is helpful in real menner.
  • Serbian
    Options
    Hi @EleanorWyatt,
    Did you check the VLAN setting of the switch ports as we replied in previous post? cps test
     Omegle Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have set the VLAN on the switch ports but still can't access wireless.
    We have to stop here right?
  • Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi,

Based on the reported issue, we first deduce that it is related to the misconfiguration on switch VLAN settings(since there’s no problem for APs directly connecting to NXC). Where the switch can’t forward the packet with correct VLAN tag to the AP, therefore the client fails to get the IP address.

So we first recommend customer to make sure the “switch ports” connecting to AP and Controller are set Tx tagging out on Guest VLAN to make sure AP can correctly process the DHCP traffic to correct VLAN.

Currently we’re still waiting for the original poster’s feedback, if you also face the same issue, kindly follow our guideline above as the first troubleshoot step. If the issue still exists, please let us know how your devices are connected to each other(AP, switch, controller, gateway, dhcp server), and the VLAN setting on your Switch(better with screenshot of configuration page), so that we can further investigate if there could be any settings needs further modified.

Best regards
    Richard