non-PoE device only has PoE connection on GS1900-8HP

theredspecial
theredspecial Posts: 8
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi,
I have a Ikea Gateway that seems to have an issue with the switch. It has a PoE connection, but no data connection. The Gateway indicates not to have data and this is confirmed in the Web UI of the switch. The PoE status can be confirmed through the light and the Web UI. The port counter shows no data to be exchanged.
When connecting the Gateway to my router directly with the same cable it does have a data connection, so the problem has to be with the switch. How to solve this?

Accepted Solution

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Why two cables between the switch and the fritbox?
    Would you kindly try with only 1 cable between your switch and your router, please?

Unless there's some specific configuration that you didn't disclose for use "five" cables between fritz and devices.
    Moreover..
    Which model of fritz router you have? I don't recall any "five LAN port" (yellow ones) AVM device. Mostly are... 1 WAN (blue) + 4 LAN (yellow), some other like are 3 lan + 1 dual personality (WAN or LAN depend of the configuration...)
    AFAIK Port LAN1 of the Fritz!Box 7530 can be configured as WAN interface, if necessary...
    The grey port is not ethernet but VDSL/ADSL WAN port.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @theredspecial.

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    May I know your topology and the VLAN setting on GS1900-8HP?
    Your symptom looks like the Ikea Gateway can't get DHCP IP address when you connect to switch and it can get IP address after connect to your router directly.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @theredspecial,

May I know do you use PoE splitter to connect IKEA gateway to GS1900-8HP like this?

If yes, the issue may due to PoE splitter since there might have compatibility problem.
    May you try to connect IKEA gateway directly to switch and check the data has transmitted or not?

Zyxel Melen

• Hi @Melen, no, I'm not using a splitter. Just plugged it directly into the switch. I'm not using VLANs (yet). I'm first trying to figure this out and later setup the network correctly. Router is DHCP server and there's a fixed IP for the Gateway based on it's MAC address.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @theredspecial,

May I know the management IP of your switch? Is it as same as your router?
    If the IP is different to your router, may you help to check the port link status and the PoE status on  web GUI?
    If the port link status is down, may you change the cable and check if the data transmit or not.
    If the port link status is up, may you help to take a photo for the switch port LED status? 

Zyxel Melen

• mMontana
    edited September 2021
    Did you tried to change cable ? And also lower the speed of your switch from 1GBPS to 100MBPS on the Tradfri Gateway?
  • If the IP is different to your router, may you help to check the port link status and the PoE status on  web GUI?
    IP is different and assigned by router (static). Management UI accessible. Shows 0s for data indicators. Port is enabled.

If the port link status is down, may you change the cable and check if the data transmit or not.
    It is up

If the port link status is up, may you help to take a photo for the switch port LED status? 

I'm only seeing the PoE LED (red), the network LED (green) is off.

• Hi @mMontana, I have tried changing the cable, but maybe I'll try the Cat 5e cable that came with the Gateway. I'm using Cat6 in my house, so took one of those. Changing the speed I have yet to try. Will do so later today.
  • mMontana
    edited September 2021
    May i assume that all your test are done with the Ikea power supply connected to the Tradfri device?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    edited September 2021
    Hi @theredspecial,

I'm only seeing the PoE LED (red), the network LED (green) is off.
    May you take a picture? I would like to check the LED status.
    Because our PoE LED wouldn't show red light. It only shows green.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @theredspecial,

May I know if you see the PoE LED on when you power up IKEA gateway in normal way?

Zyxel Melen