VLANs cant communicate with LAN

FritzS
FritzS Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi Community,

I dont have experience about VLANs. I followed the instructions how to set up VLANs. Now my test-VLANs can communicate with each other as I wanted but from and to LAN there is no communication possible. 

I have an XGS1930 (Layer 3). LAN is 192.168.1.0, VLAN10 is 192.168.10.0 and VLAN11 is 192.168.11.0.

Do I have to have a router or is it possible without that everyone can communicate with everyone? I guess that my problem is the missing routes. 

My reason to create VLANs is that I dont have enough IP-addresses in 192.168.1.0 anymore. So I would like to create new subnets for a few departments.

Thank you very much for your help.

Fritz

Accepted Solution

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    FritzS said:
    I have an XGS1930 (Layer 3).
    LAN is 192.168.1.0,
    VLAN10 is 192.168.10.0
    VLAN11 is 192.168.11.0.

Do I have to have a router or is it possible without that everyone can communicate with everyone?
    You should have a router for allow inter-LAN/VLAN communication.
    Depending on how you configure ports, by a logical point of view, 3 LAN/VLAN = 3 switches.
    With a VLAN-Aware router and appropriate configuration you can manage connection between the three VLANs with only 1 port connected, but this solution caps the max throughtput to the one of the port used.
    10GBPs if you use SFP+ port
    1GBPs if you use 1GbE port.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    FritzS said:
    I have an XGS1930 (Layer 3).
    LAN is 192.168.1.0,
    VLAN10 is 192.168.10.0
    VLAN11 is 192.168.11.0.

Do I have to have a router or is it possible without that everyone can communicate with everyone?
    You should have a router for allow inter-LAN/VLAN communication.
    Depending on how you configure ports, by a logical point of view, 3 LAN/VLAN = 3 switches.
    With a VLAN-Aware router and appropriate configuration you can manage connection between the three VLANs with only 1 port connected, but this solution caps the max throughtput to the one of the port used.
    10GBPs if you use SFP+ port
    1GBPs if you use 1GbE port.
  • Hi mMontana,

Thank you so much for your help!