GS1900-48 recovery image needed

Peppino
Peppino Posts: 127  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi there, 

I have an old GS1900-48 that has been switched off durig fw upgrade, and it does not boot up.
The switch has a serial interface internally, which provides a way to recover it, but it needs an initramfs kernel image, that I cant seem to find.

Anyone can give me a hand to save this nice hadware and return it back to life?

I can stop the boot process, enable the ports:

#rtk network on
#tftpboot 0x84f00000 192.168.1.33:filename.bin
#bootm

and by having a filename.bin would return it to normal operation
Someone, please help.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    That looks like a u-boot prompt? So I guess you need a u-image? I sifted the firmware file, but it doesn't contain a u-image header anywhere, as far a I (or actually binwalk) could find.
    Here is a long thread about installing OpenWrt on RTL838x based managed switches, and several people claim they have a working OpenWrt on their GS1900-48. Maybe it's also told how they did it, and maybe also how to revert to stock firmware. (Although I don't know why you would want to go back if you have a fully working OpenWrt. Maybe central manament?)

• Peppino
    So it's simple, I have very little knowledge about OpenWRT, however I feel tempted to give it a try, still I prefer the stock firmwares whenever possible, as they proove to be more stable.

Thanks for the link, i think I will give it a try, and burn it. The reason I was playing with the OpenWrt image file was, that it was the only available to get, and try to boot the switch, but it had no Luci, or whatever their GUI is called, so I did not know how to make that work, I guess that requires a different image compiled with other goodies packed in.

Anyway, I will report once I get to learn and burn the flash. :-)
  • Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Peppino,

I am not sure if you've solved your issue with the way that @Mijzelf provided.
    I will provide you the .bin file to you via private message, please check your mail inbox.

Feel free to let us know if questions.

Adam
  • Peppino
    edited December 2021
    Hi Adam,

Thank you, I just replied to that message. I need some SOP for the image you have provided.
  • Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    Hi Peppino,

As talked in private message that since your switch had a hardware issue already, please help to send the unit to reseller or Zyxel EU for RMA.

Thanks  ;)
    Adam