Subnet directed broadcast through vpn tunnel

valerio_vanni
valerio_vanni Posts: 64  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
Setup is: a local network, with a firewall (USG-Flex), and a client connected with ipsec vpn tunnel. Or 2 local networks, connected with ipsec vpn tunnel.
Result is the same, the common thing is that there is a tunnel between sender and receiver.
Policy control is "allow and log" in both direction.

A packet is directed at the broadcast address of the remote network, and it doesn't reach its destination. It's a wake on lan broadcast call, that works inside the single network.

The only thing I see in logs is that the package reaches receiver firewall (and it's accepted).
But nothing more.

All Replies

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 127  Ally Member
    1) Your purpose is to make VPN User can access internal network ?
    2) A packet is directed at the broadcast address of the remote network, and it doesn't reach its destination.
    ->Does the VPN User's NIC IP conflict with the firewall ? 
    3) can you share the brief topology and hint IP address  here ?
  • valerio_vanni
    edited January 2022
    WJS said:
    1) Your purpose is to make VPN User can access internal network ?
    2) A packet is directed at the broadcast address of the remote network, and it doesn't reach its destination.
    ->Does the VPN User's NIC IP conflict with the firewall ? 
    3) can you share the brief topology and hint IP address  here ?
    1) Yes, they already can. Normal traffic from IP to IP is working fine. Ping, rdp, smb etc.
    The issue is on broadcast traffic, when a client tries to wake up a client on the remote network sending packets to remote broadcast address.
    Software used is mc-wol: https://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

command is:
    mc-wol.exe 80:6d:97:0a:f4:d6 /a 10.10.40.255

2) No, it doesn't

3) We have a remote client, with Zyxel Ipsec client, variable local address and fixed assigned (locally, inside ipsec client) 192.168.5.*.
    On the other side, behind a USG Flex, there is a LAN with addresses 10.10.40.0/24. Firewall has LAN address 10.10.40.254.

In USG Flex log, I see that packet is received and is accepted by firewall rule.

priority:14, from IPSec_VPN to ZyWALL, UDP, service others, ACCEPT 192.168.5.86:3813    10.10.40.255:65535

But here I see something that seems not to be OK: IPSec_VPN to ZyWALL.
    Why "to zywall"? it should be classified as "IPSec_VPN_to_LAN1". A packet with .255 should be broadcasted on local network, not to the device itself.

• WJS
    In my option, It's hard to implement on Zyxel Firewall. Layer3 device always split "Broadcast Domain" except for some router support "Directed-Broadcast".
    without the feature.It will casue Magic Packet cannot through LAN interface.

• valerio_vanni
    This would be directed broadcast, directed to remote subnet.

My aim is not to have a single broadcast domain, with firewall that detects local broadcast and forward to remote.
    I send broadcast to remote subnet.255, and I expect it to be broadcasted.
    Instead, it's received by firewall. ACCEPT... but accept to do what?

• WJS
    edited January 2022
    Yes ,Log accept ,but the fw didn't forward broadcast  to  the local lan(10.10.40.x).

In your topology ,The client send the broadcast packet dst:10.10.40.255,MAC:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. The payload contain remote host's MAC.

Here are the behaviors about Layer 3 receive Broadcast. You can find out in RFC919.
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc919

Of course, turning on some functions (like Directed-Broadcast in Cisco ) can achieve the purpose, but it seems that fw does not support

• valerio_vanni
    edited January 2022
    Now it's clear why the packet is considered "to zywall". "Again, the gateway should consider itself a destination of the datagram".

About not broadcasting, is this a recent strip down from firmware?

I remember that many years ago it was working with Zyxel firewalls: remote users connected to vpn, launched a local batch file with a command like that I wrote before, their PC at the office waked up and then they could rdp into it.

And I remember it worked out of the box, there wasn't anything to enable.

Security Highlight