Client hand-over on multiple APs

USG_User
USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Sorry in case this topic has been already discussed. In that case a link to that thread would be highly apprecated.

In our case (small company) we got an USG110 running where only one WLAN AP of type WAC6103D-I is connected to. The USG is acting as the controller for it and all is running properly.
Now we rent an additional room which is locaed a little bit in distance from our other rooms, means the WLAN coverage of our existing AP is bad at this new room and we would like to install an additional AP, more closely to that new room, and of course controlled by the USG as well.
The new AP should operate the same SSIDs (and access credentials), but of course on separate channels, so that users could move from one to another AP area.

Is the USG able to handle an intelligent "release and reconnect" of connected and moving WLAN clinets, e.g. by measuring the receiving strength of all connected devices? Or are the clients "sticking" on an AP?

Are there Zyxel APs available which are more able to support such a function than others? Unfortunately Zyxel offers such a lot of different types of APs where we are not able to decide what to purchase.
May be there is a Zyxel Website in place where a smart solution is well described.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Silvia
    Zyxel_Silvia Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @USG_User ,

Thank you for raising question here,

we would suggest you WAX510D.

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/802-11ax--WiFi-6--Dual-Radio-Unified-Access-Point-WAX510D/specification

It can be managed by controller and as Wifi 6 AX AP can perform better in transmit speed.

If you have further questions, please feel free to discuss with us.

Thank you.

Silvia

• USG_User
    Thanks a lot Silviy. We will throw an eye on it.
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Hi @USG_User,

if you have interested in using Nebula control your AP,
    that will be more models to choose. 
    ex. : NWA50AX, NWA110AX,...
    for your reference  :)

Silvia
  • USG_User
    edited February 2022
    Hi Silvia,
    No, Nebula is presently no option for us. We are sitting within European Union where the GDPR is in force and nothing has to be processed in the cloud without investigating server locations, singing agreements in external data processing, etc. Quite difficult here.
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Thanks for your sharing  ;)
  • USG_User
    Hi Silvia,
    We've purchased and installed the recommended WAX510D, controlled by USG110. Works fine so far together with our existing WAC6103D-I.

Both APs are in the same AP Group, with the same AP Profile, working in AP Mode. The WAC6103D-I was set to a fix channel 4. But now the AP profile has been adapted to DCS so that both APs are able to negotiate its channel with the USG and with concurent WLAN environment. Nevertheless both APs are on the same channel 6 now. From my point of view both APs (WLAN coverage is overlapping a little bit) should operate on different channels, isn't it?

AP Profile:

• USG_User
    Ok, after another manually released DCS we got 2 different channels. Seems it always takes a while until all things have been settled. :)
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    @USG_User this is only my personal opinion...
    The controller should know which networks are both AP sensing, and the channel choice should be also dependent from surrounding networks. If channel 6 is the less "noisy" for both of them and the APs don't sense "that much" each other...
    Did you setup your USG110 which APs are friendly and rouge?
  • USG_User
    I'm agree, the controller should know which APs are directly connected and that's why are "friendly". I'm not aware about an additional setting option to mark which ones are friendly and which are not since USG is only knowing/showing own APs/WLAN SSIDs.

But I'm still of the opinion that own APs, with overlapping coverage, should use different channels to avoid additional competing channels.

An additional Android WiFi App is presently showing permanent changing channels for our two APs. Sometimes both SSIDs are operating on channel 6 and 11, sometimes only one SSID is working on two different channels and the oter one is working on one channel only, and sometimes both APs with both SSIDs working only on one and the same channel.
    But DCS check schedule is set to once per day at 07:00 a.m.. Why the channels changing so often?
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    IMVHO the schedule is set for... checking. If any channel is better than the "current" one/ones, DCS will take care of the evaluation.
    On USG40 and NWA-5123 the managing of rouge/friendly APs is located here.

The list can be populated also via this interface, while scanning the "percepted" networks by the APs