GS1900-8HP PoE Issue

sledge121
sledge121 Posts: 6
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi Community

I just upgraded the firmware to 2.7 and now my PoE devices are not receiving any power and I get the error 'PoE Init Fail' when I log in to the switch.  Any ideas what may be causing it?
In the logs it says 'PoE Failure: Chip init fail'.

Tech-Support output says:
000258:  bcm59111_uart_xmit( 152): Host <- PoE: communication failed (rx, 1 bytes received)
000258:    bcm59111_cmd_get( 809): Host <-> PoE: communication failed

Thanks
Rick

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @sledge121,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

I am sorry to hear that.
    I will send you a private message to get the tech support file you have, so we can analysis it.
    Please check your inbox of community.

Thanks.
    Jason
  • Hi @sledge121,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

I am sorry to hear that.
    I will send you a private message to get the tech support file you have, so we can analysis it.
    Please check your inbox of community.

Thanks.
    Hi Jason

I've sent you the tech-support via PM.

Thanks
    Rick
  • @Zyxel_Jason

Hi

Did the tech-support file reveal anything?

Thanks
    Rick
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @sledge121,

I couldn't see the same symptom when I upgrade firmware on my GS1900-8HP and didn't receive the report from other customers recently, so I need more time to analysis the tech support file you provide.

Have you tried to rollback the firmware to the original version on your GS1900-8HP?
    Jason
  • Hi @sledge121,

I couldn't see the same symptom when I upgrade firmware on my GS1900-8HP and didn't receive the report from other customers recently, so I need more time to analysis the tech support file you provide.

Have you tried to rollback the firmware to the original version on your GS1900-8HP?
    Hi Jason

I've factory reset and tried going back in steps to older versions, back to 2.3.  PoE doesnt work on any of them.  I presume the PoE chip is goosed?
    Strange how it seemed to coincide with the upgrade.

Thanks
    Rick
  • I've taken the lid off and there is a second reset looking button inside.  Its just visible through the side vent on the right hand side, do you know what this one is for?
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @sledge121,

From your test result, the issue may be related to hardware problem because we didn't do upgrade on PoE chip between the versions from V2.30 to V2.70.
    That is also why I suggested you may rollback the firmware version.
    Since it is hardware problem, please find the reseller you bought GS1900-8HP to do the RMA process.

BTW, the button you find inside GS1900-8HP is to reboot(cold start) the Switch.

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • BjP
    BjP Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    When upgrading my GS1900-24HP to v2.70 I experienced a similar issue. PoE power supply to Wifi APs was breaking down approx. once a day. Rebooting brought PoE power back for some time, but problem occurred again. Downgrade to v2.60 solved this issue.
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @BjP,

I would like to double check the followings with you:
    1. What is the model name of Wifi AP?
    2. From your description, the problem is PoE power off, not PoE power recycle because you need to reboot GS1900 to bring AP back, right?

As you mentioned, downgrade to V2.60 solve the issue, I assume your GS1900 is running V2.60 now and the problem is gone.
    If it is convenient, please help me to download the tech support file on V2.60 and V2.70(you may need to upgrade again and wait the issue happens again).
    The location path is "Maintenance > Configuration", select HTTP and Tech Support, and click Apply.

Since the tech support file will include some private information(MAC address/SN and configuration), you may send those two files to me via private message on community.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jason
  • BjP
    BjP Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    Hi @BjP,

I would like to double check the followings with you:
    1. What is the model name of Wifi AP?
    2. From your description, the problem is PoE power off, not PoE power recycle because you need to reboot GS1900 to bring AP back, right?
    Thanks, Jason, for looking into this!

1. I run 2x NWA1302-AC APs and a D-Link DGS-1100-05PD Gigabit Ethernet Switch over PoE
    2. correct

I can download and send the tech support files at a later time.