Cisco L3 with GS2210 Zyxel VLAN configuration

AndrewOx
AndrewOx Posts: 11
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hello!

I have the following configuration:

VLAN 30 and VLAN 20 are configured in L3 (cisco) and PC's in this VLAN receive IP by DHCP (from L3)
What I want to achieve is create another VLAN on L3, let's say VLAN 10 which would be the L2 switches management VLAN.
By using Cisco switches (in simulator) I managed to achieve this by setting trunk interfaces on each switch up-link interface and on the L3 outgoing interfaces (I.E. on L3, interface gigabit 1/0/1, trunk, allowed vlan 10,30; interface gigabit 1/0/2, trunk, allowed vlan 10, 20).
However, I can't figure it out how to set this on my GS2210 switches.
I tried creating the vlans and setting interfaces as trunk like I did on cisco but it didn't took me anywhere. Would someone be so kind to show me how to achieve this? I'm new in Zyxel world. Thank you very much in advance!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @AndrewOx,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

(I.E. on L3, interface gigabit 1/0/1, trunk, allowed vlan 10,30; interface gigabit 1/0/2, trunk, allowed vlan 10, 20).
    Please check the following images to compare configuration on your switch.

VLAN10

VLAN20

VLAN30

VLAN status

Hope it helps.
    Adam

All Replies

• Zyxel_Adam
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @AndrewOx,

(I.E. on L3, interface gigabit 1/0/1, trunk, allowed vlan 10,30; interface gigabit 1/0/2, trunk, allowed vlan 10, 20).

VLAN10

VLAN20

VLAN30

VLAN status

Hope it helps.
    Adam
  • AndrewOx
    Hello!

I have the following configuration:

VLAN 30 and VLAN 20 are configured in L3 (cisco) and PC's in this VLAN receive IP by DHCP (from L3)
    What I want to achieve is create another VLAN on L3, let's say VLAN 10 which would be the L2 switches management VLAN.
    By using Cisco switches (in simulator) I managed to achieve this by setting trunk interfaces on each switch up-link interface and on the L3 outgoing interfaces (I.E. on L3, interface gigabit 1/0/1, trunk, allowed vlan 10,30; interface gigabit 1/0/2, trunk, allowed vlan 10, 20).
    However, I can't figure it out how to can I set this on my GS2210 switches.
    I tried creating the vlans and setting interfaces as trunk like I did on cisco but it didn't took me anyware. Would someone be so kind to show me how to achieve this? I'm new in Zyxel world. Thank you very much in advance!
    Hi @AndrewOx,

VLAN10

VLAN20

VLAN30

VLAN status

Hope it helps.

Thank you, Adam and sorry for the late response. Worked like a charm. I noticed though, a ping reply of 2ms when pinging the gateway (layer 3). It might be a local issue (I'm using an old L3 for testing). Still, is there something else I should be aware of before setting this into production ?
  • Zyxel_Adam
    edited March 2022
    Hi @AndrewOx,

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if you have Cisco switch in your network.
    If you do have Cisco switch and would like to connect GS2210 switch, make sure that they are running in the same spanning-tree(STP) mode. RSTP would be recommended.

If you don't want GS2210 to join STP, enable Loop Guard could be your alternative to prevent loop.

Don't hesitate to inquire us if you have any question.
    Adam
  • AndrewOx
    Thank you again, Adam.
    The only Cisco is the L3. On the L3 the spanning-tree protocol is set to: spanning-tree mode pvst.
    The test I made the switches had Loop Guard active. What would be the best practice on this?

• Zyxel_Adam
    Hi @AndrewOx,

Since you only have one Cisco switch in your network, you can consider using RSTP between switches.

It actually depends on your preference that both STP and Loop Guard are able to prevent loops, but STP is more flexible. It has more settings to be adjusted.
    Adam