Automatic Backup of Switch Configurations.

Options
Kinshuk_Tech
Kinshuk_Tech Posts: 10
First Anniversary Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi there,
Recently we are undergoing implementation of several ZyXEL switches in an enterprise customer. Switches include XGS4600, XS3800, MGS3750, XS1930, XGS2210, XGS2210, GS1920, GS1350 in good quantities. I know, there is an option to take backup individually, by going into each switch UI. But it takes only config log. Not running configuration.

But, now customer wants to setup an automatic backup for running config of all switches, at specific frequency ie. month, date, time etc.
How can this be achieved? I have gone through almost all places, but couldn't find anything around this.
Any help, will be highly appreciated. 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 341  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @Kinshuk_Tech,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

I know, there is an option to take backup individually, by going into each switch UI. But it takes only config log. Not running configuration.
    First, may we know which switch model cannot back up running config but config log only? Zyxel switch should be able to back up either running configuration or startup configuration(Config 1 & Config 2) individually via switch GUI.

But, now customer wants to setup an automatic backup for running config of all switches, at specific frequency ie. month, date, time etc.
    How can this be achieved? I have gone through almost all places, but couldn't find anything around this.
    Any help, will be highly appreciated. 
    Sorry that Zyxel switch does not offer feature of auto backup config. If you would like to achieve it, you may use other 3rd party tool on customer's network.

Adam
  • Ian31
    Ian31 Posts: 170  Master Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So here the questions, does all these models
    (1)support to use SNMP to backup configuration to external TFTP server ?
    (2)support use CLI to backup to external TFTP server ?
    (3)support use CLI "show running-config" ? 

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=015782&lang=EN
    https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/3496/gs1900-and-gs1920-config-backup-to-tftp-with-snmp-commands

• Kinshuk_Tech
    Options
    Hi @Kinshuk_Tech,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

I know, there is an option to take backup individually, by going into each switch UI. But it takes only config log. Not running configuration.
    First, may we know which switch model cannot back up running config but config log only? Zyxel switch should be able to back up either running configuration or startup configuration(Config 1 & Config 2) individually via switch GUI.

You are right. @Zyxel_Adam. I didn't see it thoroughly.  
    Yes, almost all ZyXEL devices have the option to select running configuration and startup configuration as well, albeit, it needs to be done, one-by-one and cannot be taken simultaneously.
  • Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 341  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Ian31 said:
    So here the questions, does all these models
    (1)support to use SNMP to backup configuration to external TFTP server ?
    (2)support use CLI to backup to external TFTP server ?
    (3)support use CLI "show running-config" ? 

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=015782&lang=EN
    https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/3496/gs1900-and-gs1920-config-backup-to-tftp-with-snmp-commands

Hi @lan31,

Please check the following table regarding your question:

Adam
  • Ian31
    Ian31 Posts: 170  Master Member
    Options
    Here a sample Python script that using telnet to device and use show run command to dump configuration to a file.

• Kinshuk_Tech
    Options

Thank you @lan31
    Appreciate your help in this. We are also thinking on these lines, but not yet started working on it.
    Anyways, thank you once again.
    Ian31 said:
    Here a sample Python script that using telnet to device and use show run command to dump configuration to a file.