3x NWA50AX V6.25(ABTF.5), standalone APs: Where is 802.11r ? And: (faster) dynamic routing

2»

All Replies

• nicogat
    nicogat Posts: 6
    Friend Collector
    in addition, can you explain more the functionality of "Band select" which is in the same group of functions of  assisted roaming and 802.11r in Nebula 
    thanks again 
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @nicogat

We have to correct the information in the first response. The fast roaming 802.11r only supported when AP running in managed and Nebula mode. If you go back to standalone mode, you can follow my previous deploy suggestion and enable 802.11k/v to ensure the roaming performance.

BTW. Thanks for your experience sharing, we’ll do further discussion that implement this feature in standalone mode or not.

With band select enabled, AP will let STA connect to 5GHz radio more easily if the STA is dual band capable. The feature doesn’t directly relate to fast roaming.

Regards,

Bella

• jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 98  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    There is no option for fast roaming in standalone and there really is no benefit from using standalone mode.
  • nicogat
    nicogat Posts: 6
    Friend Collector
    @jpblank75 - Thank you, the fact is that I understand that I have to pay to have nebula, and if I am not wrong this functionality is included only in case I have the most expensive license- this is for my house and I am not willing to pay for it. 
    or I am wrong? it is included in which license? 
    I am really thinking to send it back even if I like the products.
    In case I will have just the 802.11K/v and not the fast roaming- what will be the difference of behavior? 

@Zyxel_Bella, what does STA stand for? 
    sorry I am really a beginner of this topics

• jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 98  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited March 2022
    nicogat said:
    @jpblank75 - Thank you, the fact is that I understand that I have to pay to have nebula, and if I am not wrong this functionality is included only in case I have the most expensive license- this is for my house and I am not willing to pay for it. 
    or I am wrong? it is included in which license? 
    I am really thinking to send it back even if I like the products.
    In case I will have just the 802.11K/v and not the fast roaming- what will be the difference of behavior? 

@Zyxel_Bella, what does STA stand for? 
    sorry I am really a beginner of this topics

Nebula basic is free and includes 802.11k,v,r support.  They have upgraded licences for some extra features such as traffic shaping, traffic monitoring and security services and some others.....  I have been only using the free service.
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @nicogat

STA is the abbreviation of station that means the wireless clients, you may find the term in the logs too.

Like @jpblanch75 mentioned, Nebula base pack is free for managing APs.

Users could consider to purchase license once they require the advanced features.

We have many customers manage NWA50AX by Nebula even just less units in their environment.

With Nebula, you can have 802.11r enabled also enjoy the network management and monitoring by APP.

We’d appreciate your sharing. Thank you.

Regards,

Bella