GS1200-5HP v2 Mgmt VLAN not working

steves
steves Posts: 7
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
I have been testing a switch that is for deployment in a campground for kids with disabilities... in about 20 cabins I need a small POE switch for an IP phone, an IP paging unit, and in some cases a wireless AP. We would really like to use a switch that is more reasonably priced due to the fact we need 20+ of them and this organization doesn't have a ton of money. This setup requires me to pass three VLANs to the switch:

VLAN1-Data 
VLAN6-Voice 
VLAN100-Management 

Port 1- Yealink IP Phone
Port 2 - Algo IP Page adapter
Port 3 - ZyXEL WAX610D access point (in some cabins)
Port 4 - vacant
Port 5 - Trunk port to main building

My problem is even with the latest firmware V2.00(ABKN.1)C0 as soon as I build the VLANs in the switch, and go to the Management tab and change the Management VID to 100 and Apply, I immediately lose connection to the switch's management web portal. I have tried setting port 4 as untagged/PVID to 100 or accessing via an interface where VLAN100 is tagged and I can ping the switch's IP address, but am unable to access the management page. 

Am I doing something wrong? 

All Replies

• steves
    steves Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited March 2022
    Correction... With the above configuration I can access the management interface on port 4, but not if I set my ethernet adapter to be Tagged VLAN 100 and connect to port 5, however I can ping the switch's IP address. 
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,654  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2022

I do know some switches that can't access the management if the port is tagged and some that do...so you say connect a PC to port 4 with the PC tagged to 100 and port 4 tagged yes? doing so may lock you out of the switch or try connecting a PC to port 5 with tag 100 if that don't work try setting the PVID to 100 on port 5 but this will mean VLAN1 stops working.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    Dear @steves

steves said:
    Correction... With the above configuration I can access the management interface on port 4, but not if I set my ethernet adapter to be Tagged VLAN 100 and connect to port 5, however I can ping the switch's IP address. 

May I know the IP address of your PC is in same subnet with switch's IP address.
    If they are in different subnet, please change to same subnet and try again.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    Dear @steves,

Good day.
    May you also share the IP address of your switch and PC?
    And may you also use the command arp -a to the the ARP table on PC?

Zyxel Melen