Prioritization SSID

JoWe
JoWe Posts: 4
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hi guys
Weve got an NXC5500 Wlan Controller. We have multiple SSIDs, all (except one) with WPA2 authentication. The SSID with security mode "open" is for the exams. It should garantee a good and stable internet connection during the exam. It is working well, but this SSID is allways connecting first to the devices, nonethless they have connected also to WPA2 SSIDs. 
So if the users enter the building it allways connects first to the open SSID which is restricted to exams (restricted websites), nonethless they were connected already to a WPA2 SSID in the past. 
Is there a way to prioritize SSIDs on the controller? Or why the device is choosing allways the open SSID, nonethless the device is knowing both of the SSIDs?
Best regards

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

HI JoWe

Maybe you can share AP SSID Profile where is near the entrance and let us help you to analyze it.

I can share my lab with you. I have an AP with two SSID. One is an open SSID and the other is WP2 authenticated SSID. My device connected them before, and turn off wifi. Then when I turn on my device wifi will find the last SSID I connected whether it is an open or authenticated SSID.

According to my lab, it doesn’t prefer open SSID to authenticated SSID. It is based on the wifi stack rule.

Hope it can help you.

Zyxel_Jay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jay

HI JoWe

Welcome Zyxel Community,

As for your report, I guess your AP with SSID with security mode "open" is set near the entrance. So your device will first connect to SSID with security mode "open", it doesn’t disconnect until the device can’t get the signal. If you want to let specific people, don’t get this SSID, you can forget this network or disable auto-join this network on the device.

• JoWe
    Friend Collector
    @Zyxel_Jay
    Thx for your answer. Yes, I know that there is a possibility on the costumer device, but as a company I try to fix the problem on our side. But maybe there is no such possibility.
    But you now why the device prefer the open SSID before the authenticated SSID? When the user has logged in in past for the authenticated SSID, the device should has stored the password (if the user said it should store it), so why the device prefers the open SSID? The device knows the password for the other SSID, so why it preferes the open one.
    Best regards
  • Zyxel_Jay
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

HI JoWe

Maybe you can share AP SSID Profile where is near the entrance and let us help you to analyze it.

I can share my lab with you. I have an AP with two SSID. One is an open SSID and the other is WP2 authenticated SSID. My device connected them before, and turn off wifi. Then when I turn on my device wifi will find the last SSID I connected whether it is an open or authenticated SSID.

According to my lab, it doesn’t prefer open SSID to authenticated SSID. It is based on the wifi stack rule.

Hope it can help you.

Zyxel_Jay

• JoWe
    Friend Collector
    @Zyxel_Jay
    Okay, many thx for testing it. That would be as expected. I tried it now with my one device and it works as well. Sorry for disturbing you, I will ask the users again and look by myself.
    But it is good to know that on Wlan Controller is no setting to priorize SSIDs.
    Best regards
  • Zyxel_Jay
    @JoWe
    Never mind it. I'm glad to resolve your question.
    Thank you to share this problem with us.
    Any questions can be discussed in our Zyxel community.
    See you next time.

Zyxel_Jay