Fans speed bug with the XS1930-10 ?

panzerscope
panzerscope Posts: 7
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hello all, 

I own a single XS193-10 Switch. I recently noticed that it was making a louder whining noise recently. I logged in to the control panel to note that the fan is running at full speed even though the temperatures in my opinion are not super high and this seems to have started to happen since I upgraded the firmware, but I am not sure which firmware, though it must be either  4.70(ABQF.1)C0 or 4.70 (ABQE.0)C0

The temps I am seeing are: 

MAC: 58c
PHY: 53c
BOARD:53c 

My fan is running at 4675RPM out of a reported MAX of 4724RPM. 

For clarity I have taken a screenshot of the Hardware monitoring section.

Anyone else experiencing this, I guess I am more sensitive to it as the switch is in my office as opposed to a network cabinet in the basement. 

Has anyone else notices this ? Is there a way to alter the speeds of the Fan ?

Thanks,
P

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @panzerscope,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We’ll release an official patch for this fan noise issue.
    I’ll make an announcement once the new patch is released, please stay tuned.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Jonas,
    Jonas,

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Answer ✓
    Hi @panzerscope,

Jonas,
    Jonas,
  • Hi @panzerscope,

Jonas,

Brilliant, This is great news. Thanks for the response and I will keep an eye out for the announcement :)  
  • @Zyxel_Jonas

Would there be an eta for the patch release ? 

Thanks,
    P
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @panzerscope,

Yes, the estimated time of the release is the end of March,
    In addition, may I know if it is convenient to help us collect the tech support of XS1930-10?
    I would like to check the status of the switch.

If yes, please send it to me by private message, as there is some private information about the switch.

Steps as follows:
    1) Access switch via web GUI
    2) Go to Management > Maintenance, click on "Tech-Support".

3) All "Download".

4) Save file and send to me. 

Thanks,
    Jonas
    Jonas,
  • Hi @panzerscope,

Yes, the estimated time of the release is the end of March,
    In addition, may I know if it is convenient to help us collect the tech support of XS1930-10?
    I would like to check the status of the switch.

If yes, please send it to me by private message, as there is some private information about the switch.

Steps as follows:
    1) Access switch via web GUI
    2) Go to Management > Maintenance, click on "Tech-Support".

3) All "Download".

4) Save file and send to me. 

Thanks,
    Jonas

Thanks @zyxel_jonas

PM Sent :) 
  • Hello again, 

@Zyxel_Jonas

So I see there are two new firmware version on the download page for my product : https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/support/download_library/product/xs1930_series_14.shtml?c=uk&l=en&pid=20181219164921&tab=Firmware&pname=XS1930 Series&mtname=Firmware

They both released on the same date (March 29th), the only difference is the firmware number between the two.

4.70(ABQE.1)C0 
    4.70(ABQE.2)C0

Looking at my admin panel, I am already on 4.70(ABQE.1)C0 which I downloaded ages ago, but now has a March 29th release date against it in the downloads section ? Very confusing.

Which one am I supposed to update to and what is there difference between the two, if any ? 

See the image below of my current admin panel on my switch 

Many thanks!
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @panzerscope,

Sorry for the confusion.
    We had uploaded the wrong file at the beginning and had it correct on the same date, so you'll see the same release date.

Please be assured to download the patch 2 4.70(ABQE.2)C0.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks,
    Jonas
    Jonas,
  • Hello @Zyxel_Jonas

Thank you.

I have installed the firmware as directed, but the fan still seems to be ramping up a fair bit and making the whirring noises. I verified the firmware version I was running is indeed the latest with the fix.

Any suggestions ? 

These are my current stats 

• vrdsp0
    vrdsp0 Posts: 1
    Hello, I got 2 XS1930-10 switches, and they run great !

The temps on mine are stabilizing at MAC 62°C, BOARD 61°C, PHY 57°C.
    CPU load is 5 to 10%, and external temp is 25°C.
    The fan runs at 3750RPM.

Currently the latest firmware V4.70(ABQE.2) enables lower fan speed.
    If I want higher speed, I understand I should downgrade to V4.70(ABQE.1), isn't it ?

Would it be possible to give the admin the possibility to have adequate fan setting (eg. something like low/fast) in the web interface, where 'fast' is the speed of the fan in ABQE.1 and 'low' the one in ABQE.2, in a future update ?

Indeed each room/setup/rack is different and has different thermal constraints.

• panzerscope
    panzerscope Posts: 7
    Friend Collector
    edited June 2022
    Hello @Zyxel_Jonas or any other support. 

I want to state that this fan issue is NOT fixed. When the switch reaches a higher temperature, the fan speed increases. However if the temperature reduces, the fan speed does not reduce in speed accordingly. 

Perfect example was yesterday evening after it had gotten a little cooler. My temperature was sitting at 45c but the fan was still screaming at 8557 RPM.

Please see below screenshot

This is definitely a bug as there is no need at all for the fan to still be operating at such a high RPM. The only way to resolve the issue is to reboot the switch, which is not a fix. 

I have downloaded all the technical logs prior to rebooting the switch. Please can someone get in contact with me to collect them so you can go back to the technical team to release a revised firmware. 

Many Thanks,
    P