Open source or alow alternative firmware for Armor G5

Hi. Any chance you will release the firmware for open source or allow OpenWRT (or similar) to be installed? would help implementation times greatly and probably increase sales as the hardware is great and that community is huge. Currently, hardware possibilities are not used what they can
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Ghost777
    Thanks for your feedback.

Currently, we do not have a plan to release the firmware for open-source or OpenWRT

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    @Zyxel_Jerry the capability to deliver a "other firmware" compatible devices helped a lot Linksys several years ago. Consider the option for collaborate with projects you might find interesting could help Zyxel explore some consumer market branches still not aware of your products.
  • Ghost777
    Ghost777 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    This proposal https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/comment/41077#Comment_41077 was made in September 2021, and after more than six months I received the answer: "Currently, we do not have a plan to have an enhanced QoS feature on the Armor G5."
    Therefore, I need to change the speed limit settings of the torrent client, or any download, each time I start these downloads.
    My ZyXel GIGA 3 with much less hardware and less cost could do it all.
    Therefore, I ask you to support your customers, and implement at least a minimum set of features (QoS, SMBv3, DDoS protection, Brute Force protection), or provide the opportunity to implement it yourself.
  • Ghost777
    Ghost777 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    This proposal https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/comment/41077#Comment_41077 was made in September 2021, and after more than six months I received the answer: "Currently, we do not have a plan to have an enhanced QoS feature on the Armor G5."
    Therefore, I need to change the speed limit settings of the torrent client, or any download, each time I start these downloads.
    My ZyXel GIGA 3 with much less hardware and less cost could do it all.
    Therefore, I ask you to support your customers, and implement at least a minimum set of features (QoS, SMBv3, DDoS protection, Brute Force protection), or provide the opportunity to implement it yourself.
  • Evlo
    Evlo Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Official firmware seems to be based on OpenWRT 15.05.1 so isn't it the case that not releasing source violates OpenWRT license?
  • Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Evlo 

You can refer to the End-User License Agreement
    To get the open source code, you can send Open Source Code request to us.
    https://www.zyxel.com/form/gpl_oss_software_notice.shtml

Consumer Product Help Center