XGS1250-12 very slow

Wokki
Wokki Posts: 4
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hey,

I have this XGS1250-12 switch and it use to work just fine. Got 10G connections to my two computers and rest got 1G, no problem. After 1-3 weeks I noticed that my internet connection barely got 100Mbps even though it's a 400Mbps connection. I couldn't find the problem until I tried to turn off and turn on this switch. Boom! 400Mbps connection again. Then it did the same thing after few days and boot helped again... this went on for few weeks. I just reboot the switch every few days... and it works.

Now, I logged in the switch and it seems that none of the 1G ports work at 1G anymore. It just auto negotiate to 100Mbps every port expect 10G ports which are still 10G. Forcing 1G ports to 1G just disables the ports. Rebooting the device doesn't help any more. Only 10G ports auto negotiate to 1G and 10G. So, now I basically have 100Mbps switch with 3 10G ports. 

Is this switch just broken?

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    A question, two suggestions...
    May I assume that you already using firmware ABWE.1?

Were tour switch powered "off" completely at least once, as test? I mean unplugging the power adapter from the wall or from the switch. You wrote reboot...
    At which ambient temperatures is operating? Zyxel states that is rated 0-40°C, and maybe it can go a bit higher, but during these days northern part of the globe is getting quite some grills...
  • Wokki
    edited August 2022
    Yes, with rebooting I mean disconnecting AC supply.

It has been under 30°C all the time and I have never heard the built-in fan to make any noise.

And the firmware is the latest ABWE.1. I also tried factory reset today.
  • mMontana
    Thanks for the details.
    Your guess about issues on the device might be a viable option.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Wokki

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    May I know did you enable EEE on XGS1250-12? EEE could cause the link speed links to 100M.
    If you enable it, I suggest disabling it. 

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Wokki

If you do not enable EEE, can you help to connect a loop on XGS1250-12?

You can check if the link LED is green(1G) or Orange/amber(100M) to verify the present link speed.
    If the LED is not green (1G), this unit might have a hardware issue then please submit a RMA here.

Zyxel Melen

• Wokki
    I didn't configure it all first.

But now it has been working for a whole week almost. I unplugged everything and tried to move my 10G PCs on every port to test them out and each one gave 1G. Then I plugged everything back and now every port has 1G and 10G ports have 10G and I'm hoping it just works now..

Maybe there was a bad link cable(I changed one) and it some how jammed the switch? What happens if one pair in one cable is shortcutted or goes to ground(I'm using Cat6A)? Can the switch detect that? Because if I remember correctly, 100MB uses just two pairs or a cable and 1G needs all four?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Wokki,

Sorry for the late reply.

If the cable quality is bad, it only affects the traffic in this link and it won't jam the switch.
    In addition, if this link is used on the uplink port, it will cause your network speed to become slower or cause the link disconnected.

Since the switch use auto-negotiation to communicate with the connected device what speed/duplex should be applied from highest link speed to lowest link speed.
    Once the cable has a problem, it might cause auto-negotiation to reduce the speed/duplex to the stable link speed to transmit data.
    So you could check if the link speed has unexpected changes to verify whether the cable has a problem or not. 

Zyxel Melen

• Wokki
    It still seems to be working now... don't know what happened. There were no faulty cables or anything. I ran Cat6A tests with Fluke cable analyzer for whole network.

• mMontana
    Smells like cold welding spot somewere on the board...
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Wokki,

Does your problem occur again after you change the cable?
    If not, could you monitor for few days and report to us if the problem occur?
    Thanks. 

Zyxel Melen