Interface General and GRE tunnel bug

PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 2,653  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

VPN300 V5.31(ABFC.0)ITS-22WK31-r104914

Was testing making a GRE tunnel and found this bug when an interface is set to General with getting an IP by DHCP when you make a tunnel GRE on that interface to connect to a remote gateway the interface blocks sending GRE until you change interface to external then it works.

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @PeterUK
    There is other interfaces configured as "external type" in your configuration. So the traffic should route to GRE remote gateway(94.173.27.164) was passed through by default route interface (exteral interfaces) but not your ge4.
    It is because ge4 interface is configured as "General type", so you have to add additional routing for GRE tunnel on ge4.  You may have a try to add the policy route on your device and make sure if it helps in your case.

• PeterUK

Ok I found another reason why its because I had SYSTEM_DEFAULT_WAN_TRUNK set which does not included ge4 so when I make my own trunk VLAN443 and ge4 the ping works without needed the routeing rule.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    edited September 2022
    Hi @PeterUK
    I have checked it by VPN300 V5.31(ABFC.0)ITS-22WK31-r104914.
    There is no problem to build GRE tunnel when based interface in Gerenal or External type.
    Maybe you can have a check policy control rule, if it allowed "Protocol 47" to your device which is for GRE tunnel service.

Or you can have a monitor traffic by routing trace on local & remote devices in the same time.
    (1) Send ICMP from siteA to siteB continually.
    (2) Click capture button start to collect packets.
    (3) Then it will dumps result in a period time. You may have a check if traffic is working as expected.

• PeterUK
    pinging from both sides

General ping times out

change interface to external ping start working

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Hi @PeterUK
    I guess one of IP address in your screenshot is belonging to device interface address, so it caused duplicate packets in captured result. Can you capture it again and share result to us?
    If it is accepted, you may send configuration to me by private message for further check. :)
  • PeterUK
    edited September 2022

Pinging from 192.168.33.35 to 192.168.138.3 on VLAN47 on VPN300 with tunnel2 to 192.168.138.1/28 to zywall 110

routing traces on VPN300

Interface General timeout

change interface to external ping start working

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Hi @PeterUK
    The issue is come from the GRE tunnel interface IP address has overlap to peer IP subnet, so it caused packets stop forwarding.  
    You can assign a virtual IP address for your GRE tunnel(100.100.100.1/24), and add routing for required IP segmenet.

• PeterUK
    edited September 2022

This does not explain why it works with the interface set to external from General.

• PeterUK
    I have tried it your way

It still only works if interface is set to external

Maybe the problem is ge4 have a subnet 255.255.255.255 when interface is set to 
    General?
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Hi @PeterUK
    There is other interfaces configured as "external type" in your configuration. So the traffic should route to GRE remote gateway(94.173.27.164) was passed through by default route interface (exteral interfaces) but not your ge4.
    It is because ge4 interface is configured as "General type", so you have to add additional routing for GRE tunnel on ge4.  You may have a try to add the policy route on your device and make sure if it helps in your case.

• PeterUK

Ok Thanks now its works with that routing rule oddly if I remove that rule it still works

But I think the way it should work is when config the tunnel interface in gateway settings the interface set (ge4) should be used regardless of interface set to external or general to then connect to the remote gateway without needing that a routing rule from zywall to next hop ge4.

• PeterUK

Ok I found another reason why its because I had SYSTEM_DEFAULT_WAN_TRUNK set which does not included ge4 so when I make my own trunk VLAN443 and ge4 the ping works without needed the routeing rule.

Security Highlight