USG Flex 700 & GS1920-24HPv2 Throughput Issues

Options
jayd691
jayd691 Posts: 18  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security
Hello all,

I currently have a USG Flex 700 connected to a GS1920-24HPv2 with a 4 Port LAG.

I currently have 5 vlans (1, 10,20,40,50) using the lag0 port on the USG and the T1 LAG on the switch. I have normal IP Addressing using 192.168.xx.1/24 on the USG and 192.168.xx.2/24 on the GS1920.

My issue is with a loss of throughput using the switch. If I connect directly to the USG, my speeds are steady at 560 mbps, but once I connect through the switch, my throughput falls significantly to around 140 mbps and also drops the longer the test runs.

I was thinking of attempting to use traditional inter-vlan routing (one vlan per port) to see if this corrects the speed loss, but it will take down my network to completely reconfigure (and I am not certain on the setup for this scenario such as tagged/untagged for the switchports as I used to be a Cisco guy and they are more straightforward), and I feel it should work properly with router-on-a-stick scenario like I am using.

Can anyone help me out to get the throughput issue corrected? I want to upgrade to gig internet, but it is not worth the cost right now with my throughput losing a majority of the speed through the switch to firewall connection (I have upgraded and the situation is very similar: 990 mbps from the firewall, and 140-180 mbps when connecting through the switch. I cannot afford a firewall with 28 ports to connect all of my nodes, and I have only had the USG Flex 700 & GS1920-24HPv2 for about 2 years. The USG runs great and handles the speed, it is only with the switch I end up bottlenecked.

Can this work with these 2 pieces of equipment, or do I have to get an L3 switch to end the throughput loss?

Thank you all in advance!

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,300  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Up for zyxel's ladies and gentlemen
    https://www.zyxel.com/it/it/products/switch/8-24-48-port-gbe-smart-managed-switch-gs1920-series/specification

Into specification chart the forwarding capacity is (wierdely, IMVHO) reported in MBPs when switching capacity is reported in GBPs.

@jayd691 three (IMVHO) useful questions to answer.

1: did you already installed latest firmware on GS1920-24HPv2? (at posting time, 4.70(ABMI.7)C0)
    2: was setup some bandwidth control on the switch?
    3: silly but necessary: were the cables already checked/replaced from switch to USG and from switch to device? Or are the same among both tests (560mbps on USG, 140mbps and dropping on GS1920-24HPv2)?
  • jayd691
    jayd691 Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security
    Options
    mMontana,

1: I have firmware version 4.70(ABMI.6)C0 installed. I did not see anything in the release notes for ABMI.7 that would appear to correct this issue (and I think it may be configuration)
    2: No bandwidth control is being used on the firewall or on the switch?
    3: The cables are the same used for both tests (560mbps on USG, 140mbps and dropping on GS1920-24HPv2)? I had tried different cables but same result.

Thank you
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,450  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @jayd691,

Please send me switch and FLEX700 configuration file in PM for further checking.

Security Highlight