Should I enable IP/MAC binding on ISP interface?

tesagig
tesagig Posts: 56  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Should I enable IP/MAC binding on ISP interface?What are the pros/cons?

Accepted Solution

• tesagig
    Answer ✓
    thanks for confirming. I have ip/mac binding on internal network as I have some static IP's

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2022

IP/MAC binding is for your LAN subnet to have IP's given out for the set MAC of a client doing DHCP or with clients with static IPs so the DHCP server does not give that IP out to another client.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @tesagig
    Normally, you won’t enable IP/MAC binding on the firewall with the ISP router. Or, do you mean you need to configure IP/MAC binding on the ISP router?
    The concept of IP/MAC binding is to configure a “static DHCP IP” with a device’s mac address to avoid the DHCP server would assign a dynamic DHCP IP to the device, for example, we configure IP/MAC bind profile that IP is 192.168.1.66 and its mac address is AA:BB: CC:11:22:33 then the DHCP server will always a static DHCP IP 192.168.1.66 for the device(AA:BB: CC:11:22:33). Thus we usually configure IP/MAC binding on LAN interface to bind the specific LAN hosts(e.g. internal web server, NAS server, etc.) to fix their internal DHCP IP addresses, you could refer to this link to see how it works, thanks :) .

• tesagig
    Answer ✓
    thanks for confirming. I have ip/mac binding on internal network as I have some static IP's

Security Highlight