NBG 6604 terrible upload speed over wifi

Hi there. I am an owner of nbg6604 and it generally works ok, but I have this one super annoying problem. From time to time I have to send a bigger file to the cloud, and it is pretty much impossible. My ISP offers a link with 4Mbps upload speed, but I cannot get more than 0.03Mbps when I am connected over wifi. What's interesting, upload over ethernet cable easily saturates said 4Mbps limit. Router software doesn't really offer to many knobs to adjust. Firmware is up-to-date. 5G has same problem.

All Replies

• *too many knobs
  • ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Which type of file do you send?
    Would it happen to upload with the small file?
    You can try other file transfer protocols like FTP,SFTP.
  • What do you mean what type of file ? And how does it matter ? It's a tgz archive, and i'm uploading it to amazon's workdocs, but same thing happens if I upload to other services. This *is* a router problem.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 836  Guru Member
    Hello @euforiamracademia

Are you able to say which version of firmware you are on in your NBG6604 wireless router?

Looking at the Downloads area linked from https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-router/ac1200-dual-band-wireless-router-nbg6604 it seems that the latest firmware is 
    V1.00(ABIR.9)C0 from December 2021.

HOWEVER, I cannot see in the release notes any specific bug fix for slow upload of binary files such as .tgz files.

Kind Regards,
         Tony
  • ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    edited November 2022
    You can set up static IP on WAN of the NBG device and directly connect another PC with static ip the same subnet on the wan to it and test speed using iperf or build up openspeedtest server on the PC and directly check the performance using wifi client under the NBG router. If the result is the same, it might be the issue on the NBG router. 
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 836  Guru Member
    Hello @euforiamracademia

What @ikubuf writes will allow you to test the throughput of the NBG6604.

There is also some troubleshooting tips for slow connections using WiFi on page 104 of the NBG6604 user guide, such as checking WiFi signal strength and checking for interference from microwave ovens, etc, blocking WiFi.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • Hello @euforiamracademia

Are you able to say which version of firmware you are on in your NBG6604 wireless router?

Looking at the Downloads area linked from https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-router/ac1200-dual-band-wireless-router-nbg6604 it seems that the latest firmware is 

HOWEVER, I cannot see in the release notes any specific bug fix for slow upload of binary files such as .tgz files.

Kind Regards,
         Tony

That's exactly the firmware I have.
  • Hello @euforiamracademia

Kind Regards,
         Tony

That's exactly the firmware I have.
  • PixelAXE
    PixelAXE Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    The upload on wifi should work fine with firmware, I have the device and it support 100M on wan port and do not meet the issue.
    Not sure if it is network problem.
    What @ikubuf writes guide you to test the throughput of the NBG6604. 
    You can try the lab.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,056  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @euforiamracademia

You can try with another client (eg .mobile phone ,laptop ...etc) to upload the file to a different server and check if the symptom would still occur.

Consumer Product Help Center