printer scanning port not getting open

I have two locations connected with each other via VPN on Zyxel VPN100 and on one of the locations, users use RDP to connect to the second location on the win 10 machine.

The printer works on RDP, but scanning does not work as port 445 is blocked on the firewall.
I tried to do port forwarding in ZyXEL vpn100 but still when I check port opening it says the port is still blocked.

I have other ports which are working fine on the same network.

Thanks
OS

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    SNTL said:
    The printer works on RDP, but scanning does not work as port 445 is blocked on the firewall.

I think that the arrangement should be explained a more detailed way.
    Rembember that printing via RDP is tunneled into RDP connection; port 445 is part of CIFS/SMB without netbios connection. So. If the scanner on site "remote" try to write into SMB share on site "local", maybe is Windows Firewall which need some tweaking?
     ;) 
  • Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    Hello @SNTL,
    Welcome to Zyxel community!

Did the monitor log show anything when you saw port 445 is blocked?
    Could you capture packets on the interface where the printer is located? We could check if the printer responds to anything or not.
    Please provide the topology of your network for our better understanding, thank you.

James
  • SNTL
    SNTL Posts: 5
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Hello @SNTL,
    Welcome to Zyxel community!

Did the monitor log show anything when you saw port 445 is blocked?
    Could you capture packets on the interface where the printer is located? We could check if the printer responds to anything or not.
    Please provide the topology of your network for our better understanding, thank you.

James
    thanks for the reply
    Yes, when I check with "canyouseeme" it shows the port is blocked.

Yes on the local network the local machine can scan to the folder, the issue is only in the RDP machine which is located in another location.

Yes pls, see below the topology, at both ends using VPN100.

Site-B uses RDP to access a computer on-site A and a printer on-site B scan work on the local network but on the RDP pc, it says the port is blocked.

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    Hello @SNTL,
    canyouseeme is an online port scanner, so it cannot scan your printer which is a private IP address.
    Please download a port scanner software on the RDP PC and try scan again, thanks.
    Moreover, how did you scan the printer? by IP address or DDNS?

James
  • SNTL
    SNTL Posts: 5
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Hello James

ok, I scanned ports with the port scanning program on RDP and it shows port 445.
    yes, I scan the printer by IP.

By the way today I installed printer software for scanning on the RDP computer and with admin login, it allows me to scan but thing is that I do not want to give users admin permission.

Thanks
    OS

Security Highlight