Connection with Internet provider

Options
Fabio
Fabio Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
My internet provider gives me a ip address for as point to point connection with a mask 255.255.255.254, but even if i can insert in my ethernet port it seems it does not work
I have a zywall 310

All Replies

• smb_corp_user
    smb_corp_user Posts: 161  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Your ISP provides you with a PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) and a subnet mask limiting you to only 1 single IP address. PPPoE also means you need to set up your connection as a PPPoE connection with username + password (separate PPPoE page fields). Your will not have a connection to internet before you have configured the PPPoE part of your internet connection setup.

Use the setup wizard if you are uncertain how to do this. Make sure you select the PPPoE option when selecting your type of internet connection in the 
    ZyXEL connection setup Wizard.
  • Fabio
    Options
    The connection is not PPOE, but it is  Ethernet I double check with my provider.
    I can insert the network mask 255.255.255.254 on the wan port but it seems not working.

• jasailafan
    jasailafan Posts: 191  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Here is some useful information about /30 and /31. The subnet /31 is used in point-to-point link. If you'd like to configure it on ethernet wan connection, maybe you can ask ISP to give you /30.
  • Fabio
    Options
    I cannot ask My provider,  he also shows me it works using another device. Why Zyxel does not support this /31 or there is any way to use it in a wan port ?

• Fabio
    Options

Security Highlight