USG1100: help me to manage my configuration files

Options
Matt10669
Matt10669 Posts: 20  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security
I had to replace my firewall (USG1100) as it suddendly broke down. I had previously saved the configuration file (startup-config.conf) in order to apply all the settings in the new machine. After reading many forum I renamed the good configuration file (configurazioneUSG1100.conf) before uploading it to the new USG. After uploading it I
activated it by the APPLY button and now everything is working. Now in the file manager --> configuration, I have this scenario:

lastgood.cong                                   71860
startup-config.conf                           71914
system-default.conf                          73046
configurazioneUSG1100.conf            71860

where the last of the list is the good file I have uploaded and then applied.

I thought to remove startup-config.conf than rename configurazioneUSG1100.conf but it's not possible because startup-config.conf can't be removed.

Now I figure out that if I restart the firewall, it will load startup-config.conf and I will lose all my settings.

What can I do it?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 618  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here is some information about the configuration file.

startup-config.conf is the current configuration of the device that will be saved after every change. In other words, if you apply yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf, the device will apply yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf first, and then save startup-config.conf as yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf. Then if you change anything, yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf remains yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf, but startup-config.conf will be yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf with the changed configuration.

Like you said, startup-config.conf is unable to be removed or renamed. Every time the device boot up, it will boot up with startup-config.conf. If startup-config.conf has somehow been removed or renamed. The device will use the system-default.conf configuration file with the default settings, it means the settings will be cleared.

If there is a startup-config.conf, and there is no error (checked by the device), the device will use it and copies it to the lastgood.conf configuration file as a backup file. If there is an error, the device will generate a log and copy the startup-config.conf configuration file to the startup-config-bad.conf and try the existing lastgood.conf configuration file.

In conclusion, you can apply configurazioneUSG1100.conf with concerns, the device will save startup-config.conf as yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf right away, then the device will boot up with startup-config.conf after reboots.

James

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,303  Guru Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    IMVHO, lastgood contains exactly what you uploade. So it tells you "hey dude, with this configuration i were able to bootup".
    The "startup-config.conf" file contains the future boot configuration, so... any change of the configuration (even the list of files) might be stored there.

So. You can do two things.
    The first one is for peace of mind: download startup-config.conf, compare it to lastgood.conf and see which are the differences.
    If you're bold... or confident... Reboot firewall when it's convenient and you can give yourself 12-20 minutes to re-apply "configurazioneUSG1100.conf" :-)

I'd bet for a reboot without hassle, however... if you're scared, better safe than sorry: download an compare! ;-)
  • Matt10669
    Options
    I'm 100% sure that configurazioneUSG1100.conf and lastgood.conf are the files containing the right settings (and they are the same files a - 71860 kb). Startup-config.conf is the configuration file that come with the new machine so it's a blank configuration. Now the problem is how to rename my right file to startup-config.conf in order to have all my settings loaded if I need to reboot the USG? No documents or manuals talk about this :-(
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,303  Guru Member
    Options
    I can tell you what i can do and I will do on my firewall.
    But if you're scared... again...
    Download and compare startup-config.conf with your previous backup ;)

I can explain what i can do but i cannot ease fear and doubt.
  • Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 618  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here is some information about the configuration file.

startup-config.conf is the current configuration of the device that will be saved after every change. In other words, if you apply yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf, the device will apply yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf first, and then save startup-config.conf as yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf. Then if you change anything, yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf remains yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf, but startup-config.conf will be yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf with the changed configuration.

Like you said, startup-config.conf is unable to be removed or renamed. Every time the device boot up, it will boot up with startup-config.conf. If startup-config.conf has somehow been removed or renamed. The device will use the system-default.conf configuration file with the default settings, it means the settings will be cleared.

If there is a startup-config.conf, and there is no error (checked by the device), the device will use it and copies it to the lastgood.conf configuration file as a backup file. If there is an error, the device will generate a log and copy the startup-config.conf configuration file to the startup-config-bad.conf and try the existing lastgood.conf configuration file.

In conclusion, you can apply configurazioneUSG1100.conf with concerns, the device will save startup-config.conf as yyyy-mm-dd-example.conf right away, then the device will boot up with startup-config.conf after reboots.

James
  • Matt10669
    Options
    thank you guys! So I didn't understand how it works. Startup-config.conf contains all my right settings (for my peace of mind)!

Security Highlight