ZON Utility - Invalid administrator password after initial configuration

Options
Hi, 
I have a problem with ZON utility after first commisioning of switch (tested on GS1920-24v2, GS1920-24HPv2 and XS1930-12F) - after some time it always return me error "Invalid administrator password" when try to perform actions like upgrade firmware, reboot unit, etc. I think the problem occurs after initial settings of VLANS, configuring management VLAN, etc., it looks like ZON works fine (finds all devices connected to network) but do not allow to perform any action that need administrator password. I can login to the device via web succesfully, I have tried changing admin password and also with default 1234 password. 
I think the problem is connected with Nebula Cloud (when switch is configured to access the Internet it stops working via ZON). I'm managing switches via web/ssh and do not want to use Nebula Cloud.
Where I can setup password that works with ZON utility? Performing firmware update on multiple devices via web is painfull...

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,639  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi @tziarko,

Welcome to the Zyxel community!
    Did you register your switch to Nebula? If yes, could you remove them from the organization first?
    1. Go to Orgaization-wide > License & Inventory > Devices and check the checkbox for your Hybrid switch.
    2. Click “Actions" > "Remove from organization” to remove your Hybrid switch from Nebula CC.

Zyxel Melen

• tziarko
    Options
    No, I did not register it in Nebula, I have never used Nebula and I'm not going to use it, I want to manage it "locally". As far as I remeber after first startup of device Cloud Led is orange, and after my first commissioning it turns into green (I thought it shows either switch can connect to web to be able to configure it with Nebula). When I go to Basic settings / Cloud Management / Nebula switch registration I can see QRcode but I did not perform any registration. 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @tziarko,

Thanks for the information. The admin's password is the setup password that works with ZON.
    We rarely receive any report that the admin password cannot use on ZON.
    If the device did not register in Nebula, it won't be applied with Nebula site-wide password.

Could you help to check the Cloud LED is blinking green or not?
    If it is not blinking green, that means the switches are registered in Nebula. 
    Please provide me the serial number of your devices via PM, I can help to check the device status.

Zyxel Melen

• tziarko
    Options
    I don't have physical access to those devices right now, but I think its green (not sure if solid or blinking), I will try to figure it out asap. As far as I remember initialy during first boot it lights up orange, after switch gets IP address from DHCP and can access the Internet it turns green. I'm not sure when ZON stops wroking exactly. I'm sure I can update firmware via ZON with default switch config, right after switch gets IP from DHCP (usualy that's the first thing I do before performing any config), when I first perform config (change System Name, create VLANs, configure management VLAN) and then try to update firmware via ZON it fails with invalid password.  
    Yesterday I had updated XS1930 to V4.80(ABZV.0) (via web) and in Dashboard in "Cloud Control Status" section I have: Internet (green circle) > Nebula (green circle) > Registration (gray circle). I can login via web (admin with default password currently) but I can't perform any action via ZON.

• tziarko
    Options
    GS1920-24HPv2 with applied config (changed System Name, Location, created VLANs, configured managemenet VLAN with the Internet access, still default password admin/1234) blinks green once a second. 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @tziarko,

Thanks for the device serial number and the more detail information. I have checked the devices status that your switches are not registered in Nebula.
    However, I cannot replicate your problem in my lab.

Could you help to check which ZON version are you using? And share your device's running config with me to replicate this problem?

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    tziarko said:
    GS1920-24HPv2 with applied config (changed System Name, Location, created VLANs, configured managemenet VLAN with the Internet access, still default password admin/1234) blinks green once a second. 
    In addition, if you want the Cloud LED turns off, you could go to Basic settings > Cloud Management > Nebula Control Center Discovery to disable it.

Zyxel Melen

• tziarko
    Options
    ZON 2.1.5, configs sent in PM. 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @tziarko,

I cannot replicate this problem with your configuration on my side.
    But since you could access the web GUI, this is more likely due to the ZON Utility.
    Could you help to re-install it and try again?

Zyxel Melen