POE++ IEEE 802.3bt Type 4 (High Power POE)

mw_dw
mw_dw Posts: 10
Friend Collector First Comment
edited February 2023 in Switch Ideas
I was hopeful the XGS2220-HP switches would have high power 90W POE++ ports (IEEE 802.3bt Type 4).  They are only Type 3 60W  :anguished:

I work in the Audio/Video production industry and we're already seeing transport sources requiring POE++ type 4, such as Sony FR7 PTZ Camera https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/ptz-network-cameras/ilme-fr7#ProductResourcesBlock-ilme-fr7
Spec: IEEE 802.3bt Type 4 Class 8
As AVoIP and remote connectivity continues to flourish in Event, Concert, Corporate, and House of Worship, there will be more manufacturers implementing high-power POE++ for all types of devices.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2023
    Hi @mw_dw,

Thanks for sharing your requirement.
    May you share how many 90W PoE port will you need?

Zyxel Melen

• mw_dw

4 - 8 ports. A couple ideal specs would be an 8 port switch (POE++90w x 4 + 4 RJ45) and 16+ port switch (POE++90W x 8 + 8-16 POE+).

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member

8 ports POE++ Type 4 Class 8 mean… 400W of peak power consumption.
    8 ports POE++ Type 4 Class 8 plus 8 ports PoE+ peak power goes straight close 650w.

I think that “power supply” is closer to “switch” for define the device. Yeah. Power supply with switching capabilities.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member

Thanks for the links! I learned some new (to me) things.
    4212UX has 720w power budget and a consumption close to 850. I'd rather not take a tea close to this, 50db is quite a song to hear…

At 110V AC also will need thicc power cables, I'm surprised to see C14 connections and no C19

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee

Hi @mw_dw,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your requirement for PoE++ class4 type 8 (90W) support on the XGS2220 switch. Although this feature is currently not supported by the switch, please be assured that Zyxel Networks remains committed to meeting the evolving needs of our customers in the PoE++ market.

I will pass your requirement to our switch product team for consideration and add it to our marketing survey list.

Zyxel Melen

• mw_dw
    edited April 2023

Just to add, Panasonic was showing off their new PTZ camera, AW-UE160 at NAB Show 2023 this past week and after drilling the reps I was told that it's PoE++ Type 4. Their general 'tech specs' just show 'POE++' and we know of at least one installer thinking their current client POE++ Type 3 (60W) switches will suffice. Surprise Surprise!
    AW-UE160 https://na.panasonic.com/us/audio-video-solutions/broadcast-cinema-pro-video/professional-ptz-cameras/aw-ue160-4k-ptz-camera