USG60W to USG Flex 100W configuration conversion

Options
mMontana
mMontana Posts: 1,300  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited June 2022 in Security
After of the EOL announcement of USG40, USG60, USG60W and so on Zyxel devices, a  customer asked me if a USG flex 100W could be a nice replacemente for his USG60W.
Customer is not using full capabilities/ports of USG60W, so potentially the downgrade could be feasible as features and ports.
But no "automated conversion" for the configuration is available from the Zyxel conversion tool.
Is there any chance that i can achieve device replacement without configure from scratch USG Flex 100W?
USG Flex 200 currently not an option due to necessity of a Wireless connection where the firewall is located.

Best Answers

• mMontana
    Answer ✓
    Options

And now I am furious, disappointed, in my opinion frauded and in completely disbelief of what appened.

Following images come from USGFlex 100 and USG Flex 100W. Different devices, which share only one small thing: both configurations came from the converter. One edited as suggested, one purely converted ad applied from USG40.

I never agreed in any phase of the installation for the trial activation

Was asked while registering the device.No services were enabled.
    Was asked four times, one for every first access to the device (is considered “first access” the second reboot with the updated firmware, when you're asked if you want on premises or Nebula mode… dude, I told you the freaking first time) and one after registration.

Was not asked while converting configuration and moreover both configuation never had services enabled, so the source was “clean” even for the first trial.

But now, during sunday, which usually is not my job day, than Zyxel decided to burnout the trial due to the customers if the committed the crime to convert configuration and already been Zyxel customers. Because you don't need to convert configuration for the first device.

This lead to two sad scenarios. One in my opinion unprofessional, one in my opinion completely stupid.

Scenario 1: now both customers won't be that prone to buy subscritpion from Zyxel, because the 30 day trial that I might provide them for know that Zyxel devices could do more are burnt. Unprofessional and not that wise for long term marketing.
    Scenario 2: if for some reason I could not find and disable any configuration related to unsubscribed services and trial… and the customer, one month after would find the network locked due to the stupid broken device installed with is now not doing what it's meant to… Maybe the device would be thrown away or sold out from the company, and no more Zyxel devices allowed to buy.

In my personal opinion, conversion is not a good idea unless you're already paying subscriptions to Zyxel.

• mMontana
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Error

• mMontana
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Zyxel_Kevin I'd like to remember zyxel that the device are buyed, not on loan. So the control of the devices should be of the owner, not the producer.

Enabling services and trials without consent I think don't fit the term “encourage”. And again, this nice behavior provided by zyxel service is reserved to already customers only, not new one.
    Don't harm your customers, only few companies can do that and thrive.

• mMontana
    Answer ✓
    Options

Another nice update.

Today I received a "it's time to renew" email. Following unwanted trial activation of services I did not asked for and were not enable from the source conversion.

I checked up also the other email for the other converted configuration (from USG40 to USG Flex 100) and guess what? Same "nice reminder" for something I did not asked for.

Don't be anti-customer, Zyxel, it will blow back to you.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    You can follow the steps to convert configuration file of USG60W to USG FLEX 100W.
    1. Use online converter and convert it to ATP100W.

2. Download the converted configuration file.

3. Edit the configuration file. Delete these settings.

Save the file.

4. Upload the edited configuration file to USG FLEX 100W. On console, enter the command with "ignore error".
    For example: Router(config)# apply /conf/usg60w_test_converted-72645.conf ignore-error

5. After apply is finished, enter "write". For example: Router(config)# write
  • mMontana
    Options
    Is this solution supported?
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    You can send the configuration file of USG60W to me in private message and I will convert the file to USG FLEX 100W. 
  • mMontana
    Options
    Thanks for the availability, but this question was made to me as a pre-purchase info request.
    So at today there's no USG Flex 100W purchased yet.
  • mMontana
    Options

UP!

Customer bought USG100W, can i still receive a customized conversion from USG60W?

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 755  Zyxel Employee
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi

Please refer to Emily's reply above which contains the implementation process.

If there are any problems, please send config files by PM. Thank you

Kevin

• mMontana
    Options

Question…

USG100W don't match the port distribution.

During conversion i were not asked to remap interfaces from old to new config.

So I have to reconfigure manually P1 (USG60W) to P2 (USG Flex 100W)?

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

As Emily's post, please convert to ATP100W first then apply to FLEX100W.

Please send me config file if you need any help. Thank you

Kevin

• mMontana
    edited February 2023
    Options

…. Probably I did not explain well myself.

I'm asking if after the conversion (following the instructions) I manually have to remap port P1 to P2 or not.

After a re-read of my message, i found it unpolite and not respectful.

I'm sorry, probably my question was worded not correctly enough.
    I was asking if could be necessary, after the conversion via the tool and following the instruction provided by Zyxel_emily (i had no issue to understand them and comply to the necessary steps) if a manual port remap from P1 (into USG60W) to P2 (in USG100 Flex W) was necessary, due the the different arrangement of ports.

USG Flex 100W have SFP cage instead of RJ45 port in P1, and currently i don't have an SFP adapter for 1gB/s ethernet on copper.

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

I'm feel sorry for misunderstood.

Yes, you have to remap ports manually in config files.

Thank you

Security Highlight